Schematic Drawing and Analysis Software Reccomendations

SamR

Joined Mar 19, 2019
This was asked about 10 years ago and I would like to renew it since there may be better solutions available now.

Currently using CircuitLab online, which I like. But I would like to be able to save files on my hard drive instead of their online Workshop and import files to work on if possible. And a FREE app would be nice. I've looked at and tried a few, but let's throw this out and see if someone can recommend something better?

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
Another vote for LTspice. It’s not perfect but is probably more widely used than any alternative. It’s much easier to share files and get tips from other users.

killivolt

Joined Jan 10, 2010
Another vote for LTspice. It’s not perfect but is probably more widely used than any alternative. It’s much easier to share files and get tips from other users.
LTspice groups on Yahoo was a resource, but once you sign up for downloads, you'er in for life. I tried to get them to stop but, they just keep coming, if you do join use an account different than your main account if possible.

kv

SamR

Joined Mar 19, 2019
Looks good thanks. I have a problem though. I don't see very well and it's very small for me. How do you enlarge it? I can zoom in and out, but can't see the menus very well. I did change the background color and would like at least a dot grid for visual reference. Turned grid on in the view menu and nothing appeared. Also need to increase the line width a bit.

Alec_t

Joined Sep 17, 2013
How do you enlarge it?
'Control Panel/Operation/Toolbar icon size/Yuge'.
That's the best you can do.
The grid is there, but faint microscopic dots and no options.
Line width is adjustable in the waveform plots, but not elsewhere as far as I know.

SamR

Joined Mar 19, 2019
LOL I thought Yuge was a typo. There is a pen width function in the control panel. Space bar centering is a good feature. Now to spend some time playing with it to get comfortable and adjusting line width and text size to my likes. Oh and I did have to go to the usergroup right off for the potentiometer symbol. Can't believe it wasn't standard in the app. Thanks guys!

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
I used Orcad for many years until the upgrade to different operating systems put the cost up.
Now I use Kicad and really like it, lots of tutoriols and very much like OrCad.
Max.