SB Prediction

Just like Cam Newton?
He was a winner all season because he was able to rally his troops with his positive attitude, winning smile and high energy.

He came into the game with a chip on his shoulder that the media was against him and his happiness/smile/energy were just not there.
Then the first challenge to a referee call that didn't go Carolina's way confirmed to him that everyone (including the referees) were against him and there was no chance to win. So, the smile went away, his posture slouched and the energy drained from him and his team.

He needs to re-evaluate his leadership role on that team and take some psychology classes and try again next year.

PS: Even the announcers thought the challenged play would be over-turned. It is possible that the NFL had pre-determined that the Manning going out as a winner story was possibly better than a young QB who is angry at the media winning story.

Brownout

Joined Jan 10, 2012
PS: Even the announcers thought the challenged play would be over-turned.
I thought it was a good non-overturn. Maybe I'm a little biased being more of a fan of Denver, but the receiver didn't control the ball throughout the play, so I liked the call. It was close, though, and could have easily gone the other way.[/QUOTE]

He needs to re-evaluate his leadership role on that team and take some psychology classes and try again next year.
He'll be fine. There was much expected form a man of only 26 years.

It is possible that the NFL had pre-determined that the Manning going out as a winner story was possibly better than a young QB who is angry at the media winning story
Doubt it. Denver had some calls not go their way too.

Last edited:
I thought it was a good non-overturn. Maybe I'm a little biased being more of a fan of Denver, but the receiver didn't control the ball throughout the play, so I liked the call. It was close, though, and could have easily gone the other way.
Whether or not he controlled it "though the play" was not the question. The point is, he is allowed to bobble the ball for a half hour as his knees are down, while he is rolling on the ground or performing a yoga move - as long as the ball does not touch the ground. And it never did.

The only time when the receiver must control the ball "through the play" is when he is sliding out of bound. He was in the center of the field.

ronv

Joined Nov 12, 2008
Whether or not he controlled it "though the play" was not the question. The point is, he is allowed to bobble the ball for a half hour as his knees are down, while he is rolling on the ground or performing a yoga move - as long as the ball does not touch the ground. And it never did.

The only time when the receiver must control the ball "through the play" is when he is sliding out of bound. He was in the center of the field.
To me it looks like it hit the ground twice. But hey, it's over.
http://www.sbnation.com/2016/2/7/10...tch-rules-carolina-panthers-jerricho-cotchery
Did Cam do something funny at the press conference?
I guess I can Google it.

tracecom

Joined Apr 16, 2010
To me it looks like it hit the ground twice. But hey, it's over.
http://www.sbnation.com/2016/2/7/10...tch-rules-carolina-panthers-jerricho-cotchery
Did Cam do something funny at the press conference?
I guess I can Google it.
Cam Newton was very down at the post-game conference. As one sportswriter put, Superman was replaced by the Incredible Sulk.

My disappointment with Newton goes all the way back to when he committed to play ball at Mississippi State, spent time on the campus wearing MSU garb, and then bailed for Auburn.

All that being said, I don't blame him for being down at the press conference. To his credit, he didn't lay blame, but simply stated the truth, "They [the Broncos] played better than we did."

He is a great athlete and could ultimately be the best QB ever. He has some maturing to do.

Brownout

Joined Jan 10, 2012
Not exactly. The rule book says this:

If the ball touches the ground after the player secures control of it, it is a catch, provided that the player continues to maintain control.

So if the player looses control when going to the ground, it's not a completion if the ball touches the ground. From the replay, it looks like the nose of the ball touched the ground just before the receiver lost control of it. Had he maintained control, it would have been a completion.