Samsung Galaxy Tab 4 micro usb charging port is damaged

satcom

Joined Apr 1, 2015
Samsung SM-T700 Galaxy Tab S - Micro usb charging port seems is damaged. Is this micro usb charging port a separate component of PCB, can it be easily replaced?

Last edited:

dl324

Joined Mar 30, 2015
I assume it's no longer under warranty... Pop it open and check for yourself.

Here's a teardown of a 10.1; maybe you'll be able to make out the USB connector. I have 4 of these tablets, but haven't needed to open any of them...

EDIT: correction, I have the Tab 4 8.0; that explains why I couldn't find the USB connector where I expected it to be...

Last edited:

mcgyvr

Joined Oct 15, 2009
If you have to ask you can't :)

Have you desoldered anything before? SMT?
Are you very good at soldering very small components?
Do you have a soldering iron or hot air gun?

If you answered yes to all then go for it.. If not.. Good luck

satcom

Joined Apr 1, 2015
Probably not very good at soldered small components, I was going to bring it to repair service. I'm not sure, does this particular model have this part soldered or its like small module mounted as disconnectable crimp style connector? In the last case, its more easily to do. If I'm not mistaken, this part is module, what I find:

EAN: 0634972700875
MPN: GH96-07263A

dl324

Joined Mar 30, 2015
The first thing you should do is open up the case and check the solder joints on the USB connector. If you don't have the appropriate tool, you could try a guitar pick.

I once had a DVD drive stop working so I started salvaging parts from it. While I was doing that, I found a ribbon cable that wasn't soldered very well and suspect that was what caused it to stop working; but not before I had rendered it useless.

nsaspook

Joined Aug 27, 2009
I once had a DVD drive stop working so I started salvaging parts from it. While I was doing that, I found a ribbon cable that wasn't soldered very well and suspect that was what caused it to stop working; but not before I had rendered it useless.
I hate it when that happens! A general recommendation for future devices is to check for wireless charging or aux power port charging. That micro usb port was not designed for the abuse it gets.

Qi on the Nexus series devices is mighty cool.