Samsung Galaxy J3 Prime Android Questions

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
You talk about spam bait betcha we ban more than one person or robot off this thread.As the title hints this is my current phone. I have figured how to record videos and audio (using the ap Samsung notes), I would like to be able to move the files from my phone into the land of Windows 7 (my lappie), I know very little about android, any ideas or tips where to start?

bertus

Joined Apr 5, 2008
Hello,

When I take photos and videos with my android phone (S5 NEO), I can copy them to my PC using the USB cable of the charger, connected to an USB port of the PC.
The PC will see the phone as an external drive, wich you can browse.

Bertus

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
I have a similar set up. I can pull pictures off the phone, but I want the videos w/ sound, and the audio only files I make using Samsung notes. When I step outside of DCIM files and downloads I'm lost. The files structure is just different, I've tried doing searches w/ no luck.

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
I downloaded a PDF copy of the manual of my phone. It doesn't describe my phone very closely at all. I use PCS as a service provider, I believe (but can't prove) apps are very dependent on who services your device.

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
I'm making some head way, Android file system is quite different. As near as I can tell files are stored using their Date/Time stamp (yymmdd time (24 hour mode) w/ a separate file that has the user file name (and possibly meta data) for example I am fairly sure the attached file is an audio file, I just need to find a method to convert it into a win standard. I put it in an archive so I could attach a file type thatthe xeno forum software doesn't recognize to this post. All my research is like this. I have to jump through major hoops just to make the test file findable.

Attachments

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
Well I figured it out (sort of), Wound up contacting Samsung Customer service online, who linked me to the Samsung cloud online and a backup utility on my computer, There goes a bit more privacy (corporations love having your data.).

I can now get the files as an MP3 file.

shortbus

Joined Sep 30, 2009
You could do it in a easier way (wirelessly)

You could make a FTP server with your android phone and access it on the same LAN using FileZilla or any other client on PC (if you need to move)

You could use the browser if you just want to copy.

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
Remember, I need to be able to play the audio file on my win7 computer. Samsung isn't very reliable, I can occasionally upload the file to my Samsung cloud drive (but not reliably), and occasionally download the file as a .wma file, the lack of repeatability is making me nuts.

I can use my USB to transfer the file (as a .sdoc), also not 100% repeatable using the search function in windows. I use my a wifi to upload to my cloud drive (again, it is a crap shoot whether it is successful).

My opinion of Samsung has been seriously diminished from this experience.

Last edited:

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
One of my friends at Major Geeks came up with an answer. Samsung .sdoc files are fact .zip files, So changing the extension to .zip allows me to easily extract the .wma file compressed inside. Sheesh is that convoluted or what? Anyone who wants to hear my voice can try it on the example I attached in post #5.

I think this thread is done.

Berzerker

Joined Jul 29, 2018
Never had a problem copying and pasting/cutting any file from my phone to my computer even sound. Hooked it up to the USB and opened it and I can do anything I want.
Oh I forgot Wendy
open about phone
Tap on build number till it says... about 5 to 7 times.
Opening development options
Make sure USB debugging is checked
Brzrkr

Last edited:

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
Like I said, the Samsung site is iffy, it forced me to log my phone on to my WiFi, even the it is far from a sure thing. Truth is, I'm tired of posting and chatting with them about it to address the problem. I have a technique that usually works, I'll live with it. I don't even know what USB debugging is. My USB cable works, that is all I need to know. Its main use is charging my phone.

Something is spotty, I just don't know what or where. Samsung would love to sell me a new computer, not happening. While I want a new laptop, it works well enough ATM.

One of my primary needs is to improve my voice, the other is to document what people say to me when they say it, audio is less obvious than video. Texas does not have New Hampshire type laws on audio recordings.

Last edited:

Berzerker

Joined Jul 29, 2018
@Wendy
USB debugging allows your phone to talk to your computer

In short, USB Debugging is a way for an Android device to communicate with the Android SDK (Software Developer Kit) over a USB connection. It allows an Android device to receive commands, files, and the like from the PC, and allows the PC to pull crucial information like log files from the Android device. And all you have to do is tick a button to make it happen. Neat, right?
Brzrkr

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
I've backed up my phone on my computer. As I've said primary use is charging, I'm thinking of using it as a MP3 player next.I tend to listen to calm piano background when I'm writing. or designing, at heart I'm a very boring person.

bertus

Joined Apr 5, 2008
Hello,

@Wendy , Do you want to listen to piano music on the phone or on the laptop?
Klassik radio lite will give you the possibility for both.
On the laptop you can use the webpage:
https://music.klassikradio.de/
On the phone you can install the app.

I have the app on my phone and can stream it by bluetooth to my stereo set at home.

Bertus

Berzerker

Joined Jul 29, 2018
@Wendy
I understand. In your original posts you wanted to move files from a phone to a PC. if you do what I say this allows your phone to talk to any PC.
You can move any file (pretty much) this way through windows explorer.
Brzrkr

Berzerker

Joined Jul 29, 2018

If you'll notice this allowed my phone to be viewed through my PC
Just by looking through the files on my phone as said I can copy, paste and cut, move any thing I want.
It's the LGL84VL
Brzrkr

Berzerker

Joined Jul 29, 2018
@shortbus
I've had several phones in my life,not all LG. Everyone I've owned does this. Now I don't use IPhones because I hate them and how they operate. But she did say Samsung and they work off Android... All my Android phones did this.

Wait you said his?
Edit: My last phone was a J3
Brzrkr

Last edited: