Salvaged Wesco SD-272416 powered platform to be re-powered for gardening use, please help.

praetor

Joined Feb 14, 2010
I just bought a Wesco SD-272416 powered platform from my local scrap yard for $75 (the price included a few stainless steel and aluminum stock and a couple of wheels for a large hand truck, so it was a great price!). When I took the platform home, I looked over the electricals, they seem fine, I inspected outer and inner workings of the Curtis 1210-2401 DC motor controller, visually found nothing amiss. Everything seems fine, atleast. But I want to test the motor controller and 24 volt motor, which us attached to the axle. I have means to test such (variable DC power supplies, variable powered breadboards, etc.) but I wanted to know if it is safe to do so? I don't know if there is a battery charging circuit on the motor controller board or was it a seperate charging feature outside of the motor controller board, being that it seems this platform was powered by two lead acid batteries. I hope to make this platform electric powered for my wife so that she may use it for minor landscaping, she has quite a few (corded) gardening machines (earth friendly), I figure another one, specially of this type, will be conducive for her around our land. It's just two acres of mostly flat land...and a surprise for her, if I can make it work as such.

http://www.amazon.com/Wesco-272416-Platform-Pneumatic-1100-lb-Capacity/dp/B0033J6OIM

http://curtisinstruments.com/Uploads/DataSheets/1210 (11B).pdf

Attachments

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
So, you're asking if it would be safe to test this thing using a DC power supply instead of a pair of batteries? If your DC supply has a high enough rating at 24V, I think it would be OK to use it instead of 2 batteries in series.

What's in the charger box? (See the drawing here.)

You mentioned a breadboard. I can't imagine any breadboard that can handle enough current to drive this motor!

praetor

Joined Feb 14, 2010
Thank you fe your response: tge charger box is simple (see pic). I do have a few power supply units that range 18 volts to 48 volts DC, and they're all quite small enough to fit onto the platform, after everything is said and (testing)

Attachments