Saleae - Logic Analyzers

nsaspook

Joined Aug 27, 2009
Why is that described as a "clone" when it runs at only 24 MHz but the thing its cloned from runs at at least 100 MHz? Also if it is a clone surely it can work with the same Saleae software?
Cloning is never perfect when the objective is being cheap. Yes, the original clones would run on Saleae software because that's the value of there products but now there is open-source for the clones that is very good.
https://atadiat.com/en/e-hands-on-test-saleae-usb-logic-analyzer-24mhz-8ch-clone/

ApacheKid

Joined Jan 12, 2015
Cloning is never perfect when the objective is being cheap. Yes, the original clones would run on Saleae software because that's the value of there products but now there is open-source for the clones that is very good.
https://atadiat.com/en/e-hands-on-test-saleae-usb-logic-analyzer-24mhz-8ch-clone/
Man these clones must be killing Saleae, what a huge problem for them, if I was CEO I'd make that one of the top priority goals for the year to stamp out these clones.

ApacheKid

Joined Jan 12, 2015
The Chinese cloners are shaking in their boots.
They very well might be if Saleae reduced their own hardware costs substantially and began charging for their (very respected) software on a subscription basis. It seems to me that the software is a far more valuable IP asset than their hardware.

nsaspook

Joined Aug 27, 2009
They very well might be if Saleae reduced their own hardware costs substantially and began charging for their (very respected) software on a subscription basis. It seems to me that the software is a far more valuable IP asset than their hardware.
Exactly, their hardware is made overseas like most products.

tautech

Joined Oct 8, 2019
I wonder, is there a clone for this Siglent part?
Not as yet as it's a fairly complex PCB inside them with its own microprocessor however there are hacks for the licensing SW for them.
IMO SLA1016 will never be cloned as further to reverse engineering the PCB one needs to RE the SW that makes it work.

In the small scopes that use SLA1016 there's insufficient PCB real estate to accommodate 16ch LA circuitry therefore only these external dongles offer a LA solution for these lunchbox sized scopes and this is why recent efforts have been directed to cloning the entirely passive SPL2016 LA that fits SDS2000X, Plus and 5000X models and PCB's and 3dp housings for these clones are available in this EEVblog thread: https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/diy-logic-analyzer-probe-and-pods-for-siglent-scopes/

rsjsouza

Joined Apr 21, 2014
I found out that Kingst Logic Analysers have a reasonable bang for the buck - I have a LA2016 (midrange) that I got for about US$70~80 in one of their new years or black Friday promotions. It is quite well built and has great software.

As a hobby user, unfortunately I can't justify the cost of a Saleae Logic Analyzer. At work we have tons of them and they work well, but they can afford them.

ApacheKid

Joined Jan 12, 2015
I found out that Kingst Logic Analysers have a reasonable bang for the buck - I have a LA2016 (midrange) that I got for about US$70~80 in one of their new years or black Friday promotions. It is quite well built and has great software.

As a hobby user, unfortunately I can't justify the cost of a Saleae Logic Analyzer. At work we have tons of them and they work well, but they can afford them.
So I wonder if getting this makes sense for me because I have the 4-chan 200 MHz version of the scope already.

nsaspook

Joined Aug 27, 2009

rsjsouza

Joined Apr 21, 2014
So I wonder if getting this makes sense for me because I have the 4-chan 200 MHz version of the scope already.
It may make sense, but usually a PC-based solution can be more expandable and, as @nsaspook mentioned, a large screen is an extra benefit. I think your oscilloscope has a VGA output, thus it may compensate in this aspect.

Another aspect is the memory depth: your oscilloscope has a very large memory, but the PC-based solution can work as a logger - i.e., infinite memory. However, the maximum acquisition speed on a PC-based solution will be limited by the amount of data compression on the POD + USB2 bandwidth.

It is never an easy choice, but at least you have options. Good luck in your decision!

tindel

Joined Sep 16, 2012
I have a 16-bit one that I ordered directly from Saleae - works well for most low-speed signals (I2C, SPI, etc). I've found problems with their triggering on very high-speed signals (80Mhz parallel busses). They always want you to use their alpha and beta software releases, but I don't have the time to help them troubleshoot their issues, and need something stable, so I use their official release. It's annoying that it doesn't have a clock sync. Wish it was 500Msps on all 16 channels.

But it's good bang for the buck if you're doing semi-professional / professional type stuff and don't want to have another $2000k cost adder for a MDO on your scope. They have a pretty good reputation in my circles, and nearly every serious hobbyist has an OEM version.

They have cheaper prices for hobby and startups.

Warranty can't be beat.

Customer support is good.

Don't use it without USB3.0 and their cable - it won't work as well - and also meaning you need a pretty good CPU for it to work well also. I have a 32GB RAM machine with a Ryzen 5 and SSD - sure it's not top of the line, but it's also not a 10 year old CPU either.