Sainsmart Jr drone

beatsal

Joined Jan 21, 2018
I have a Sainsmart Jr mini DIY drone kit. It has 4 rotors and they all spin but the drone simply does not take off. Any suggestions appreciated.

MrChips

Joined Oct 2, 2009
Can you show us photos of the drone and a link to the kit assembly manual?

Here are some possibilities:
1) The rotors are not properly installed with regards to CW and CCW rotation.
2) The polarity of the motors are incorrect.

beatsal

Joined Jan 21, 2018
Thanks. The possibilities 1 and 2 - are they the same - i.e. if polarity is not correct, CW and CCW rotation would also be incorrect?
Sorry for the typo- should be Sainsmart not Sinsmart

KeithWalker

Joined Jul 10, 2017
I have a Sainsmart Jr mini DIY drone kit. It has 4 rotors and they all spin but the drone simply does not take off. Any suggestions appreciated.
The most likely cause is a bad battery.
How old is it?
Do you have a good charger for it?
What is the voltage across he battery terminals at full power?

beatsal

Joined Jan 21, 2018
Thanks this really helped and it flew. I damaged a prop in the process and wonder where I can get spare props?

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
Have you tried contacting the seller or manufacturer? Slow I know, it's likely the only way to get it done I just noticed this thread started last year.

MrChips

Joined Oct 2, 2009
I think that your propellers are in the wrong locations and wrong orientation.

(1) Note that the red and black blades ought to be angled in opposite directions.
(2) Note that there is a top side and bottom side of the blade.
(3) Usually, the red props are on opposite arms and the black props on opposite arms.
(4) Check the rotation of the motors. You need to have the props spinning to provide lift, i.e. to blow air downwards.

Edit: This photo shows that the same coloured props are not opposite, i.e. ignore (3) above but check (4).

1682261567211.png

MrChips

Joined Oct 2, 2009
In this photo, as far as one can tell, the props are not consistently colour coded.
The black rotor on the left and the orange rotor on the right need to rotate in a counter-clockwise direction.
The other two rotors need to rotate in a clockwise direction (looking from above).

Sainsmart Jr Mini Drone.jpg

Audioguru again

Joined Oct 21, 2019
Like your drone, my cheap little drone has two white propellers on its front and two black propellers on its rear so we can see the forwards and reverse directions. The same colored propellers spin in opposite directions and propellers on opposite corners spin in the same direction.
My drone is in a lightweight cage so it can bounce away from a wall or the ceiling without stopping or breaking a propeller.
It uses infrared remote control. My drone battery is charged from a USB cable.