Safety concern in using PSU

SonicBoom

Joined Nov 7, 2020
Recently, I made DC-DC step up/down converter ranges from 0.5 to 24.8v output.
As my current power supply is cheap 12v 2A adapter and it fluctuates a lot even with a small load.
I need a better PSU, I searched online and found "LRS 12V 75w industrial PSU (Mean Well)"
Now as I will be working bear handed on the output of DC-DC converter, the input has to be safe to use......
I would like know how safe these types of power supplies are and how safe it will be to work with 24.8v out put of converter bear handed.

DickCappels

Joined Aug 21, 2008
Check and see whether the PSU sports safety logos for India and then consider whether it is made by a known manufacturer (can you visit their website -are they in the power supply business?) and whether it is likely to be a fake. It it is genuine then it should be safe to handle bare-handed except if you really try you can get shocked. I like to add either an earth ground or a ground fault interrupter to anything I handle with power applied.

Reloadron

Joined Jan 15, 2015
There should be no difference between the DC out of your DC / DC converter and a 12 VDC supply. I guess I don't quite understand what you are asking? Per Dick above make sure your DC supply meets published safety standards.

Ron

dl324

Joined Mar 30, 2015
Welcome to AAC!
DC-DC step up/down converter ranges from 0.5 to 24.8v output.
As my current power supply is cheap 12v 2A adapter and it fluctuates a lot even with a small load.
I need a better PSU, I searched online and found "LRS 12V 75w industrial PSU (Mean Well)"
Now as I will be working bear handed on the output of DC-DC converter, the input has to be safe to use......
I would like know how safe these types of power supplies are and how safe it will be to work with 24.8v out put of converter bear handed.
Voltages below 50VDC are generally considered to be non-lethal with dry skin.

If this is the supply, the output is isolated from line voltage.
clipimage.jpg

Attachments

Ian0

Joined Aug 7, 2020
Do you have a Portable Appliance Tester? If so, it will test the isolation at up to 4kV.
Meanwell is well trusted, but I suppose that there may be fakes.

SonicBoom

Joined Nov 7, 2020
Check and see whether the PSU sports safety logos for India and then consider whether it is made by a known manufacturer (can you visit their website -are they in the power supply business?) and whether it is likely to be a fake. It it is genuine then it should be safe to handle bare-handed except if you really try you can get shocked. I like to add either an earth ground or a ground fault interrupter to anything I handle with power applied.
Thanks DickCappels, it's MeanWell power supply , I will check with there web site

SonicBoom

Joined Nov 7, 2020
There should be no difference between the DC out of your DC / DC converter and a 12 VDC supply. I guess I don't quite understand what you are asking? Per Dick above make sure your DC supply meets published safety standards.

Ron
The output of DC-DC converter is either Higher , equal or lower than input voltages....

SonicBoom

Joined Nov 7, 2020
Do you have a Portable Appliance Tester? If so, it will test the isolation at up to 4kV.
Meanwell is well trusted, but I suppose that there may be fakes.
Ummm, I am just a beginner so, I exactly don't have much heavier devices, but I will check with supplier.
Thanks lan0.....

Ian0

Joined Aug 7, 2020
Another thing you could do (if you trust the earth connection in your building), is make up a lead with a mains plug and a thick (1.5mm^2) earth wire, and connect it to your power supply 0V. You can then be confident that, even if the insulation did break down, the output could not become live.

SonicBoom

Joined Nov 7, 2020
Another thing you could do (if you trust the earth connection in your building), is make up a lead with a mains plug and a thick (1.5mm^2) earth wire, and connect it to your power supply 0V. You can then be confident that, even if the insulation did break down, the output could not become live.
That will be a great thing to do, I can do that......