Safety concern on a high voltage generator

Justin Paur

Joined May 1, 2015
I am creating a DC circuit with an ionizer element, and I'm a bit concerned about using the high-voltage generator (see picture for what I'm using). I can provide the 12V in and attach the output to an ionizing ring, but I'm a little concerned about the risk of the high voltage circuit. Are there safety mechanisms I can implement that would help minimize the risk?
Evernote Snapshot 20150825 190219.jpg

MikeML

Joined Oct 2, 2009
Dont touch anything connected to the white wires. It will knock you on your butt...

Put all of the high voltage stuff inside a metallic enclosure, perforated if you need air circulation.

Justin Paur

Joined May 1, 2015
Thank you, I will definitely do that. Would you happen to know how the white wires would hook up to an ionizing ring (a metal ring with electrode pins)? I can't seem to find a data sheet o n the HV generator. I've attached a crude sketch of what I'm thinking.Capture.PNG

MikeML

Joined Oct 2, 2009
...Would you happen to know how the white wires would hook up to an ionizing ring (a metal ring with electrode pins)? ...
You just created a dead short across the HV output of the supply.

Assuming that 12Vdc connects between the red and blk wire, the "ring" should connect to one white wire; the other white should go to the metallic enclosure. If the source of the 12Vdc comes from the AC line, the metallic enclosure should also be connected to ground. In the USA or CAN, that would be the green wire in the line cord...

The corona develops between the spikes on the ring and the inside of the enclosure. The distance from any spike to the inside of the enclosure should be >1cm.

Last edited:

ScottWang

Joined Aug 23, 2012
Don't forget to add a fuse about 0.1mA to put in 12V side, or plus a 0.5mA fuse if you can get one then to put in the high voltage side.