Safety Area in live wire

Reloadron

Joined Jan 15, 2015
Be at the same potential as the line and make sure there is no path to neutral or ground as was mentioned.

Check this video from AEP (American Electric Power) where they are servicing 765,000 volt transmission lines. Another video I like is this one. A Google of "helicopter high voltage lines" will bring up some interesting material. Take note in the helicopter videos how a rod is used to get the helicopter to the line potential.

Ron

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
Isolation transformers are one way to eliminate ground path.
Just keep in mind that an isolation transformer does NOT mean that you can't get zapped. You still have to be sure that you don't get tangled with another part of the circuit where there is enough potential between the two points to push enough current through you to injure or kill you.

ebeowulf17

Joined Aug 12, 2014
Just keep in mind that an isolation transformer does NOT mean that you can't get zapped. You still have to be sure that you don't get tangled with another part of the circuit where there is enough potential between the two points to push enough current through you to injure or kill you.
I'm aware of that, although I probably should've been more clear about that in my post above, so as not to give anyone else a false sense of security. Thanks for clarifying the point.