Rules for Off Topic

spinnaker

Joined Oct 29, 2009

nsaspook

Joined Aug 27, 2009
Is it necessary to turn every thread political? Really? This topic is about the rules. Please keep politics out of it. Junk like this is exactly why politics needs to be banned on AAC. It is polluting the forum.
Of course this thread is actually about "politics" so it's the perfect place to make an example of what the 'rules' are about. About Rules is just a rational for discussing the limits or lack of limits about politics on this forum. I agree it's about time to call it a day but if others post then others will reply in kind.

Keeping discussion to the science and the policy of a current 'off topic' event instead of the politics of a party, politician or ideology won't last. Policy is politics today so it's hard to escape it completely. I would just BAN off-topic completely to eliminate the problem "politics".

OBW0549

Joined Mar 2, 2015
The biggie. No Politics.
Either the rule needs to be followed or the rules needs to be updated.
I'm not holding my breath waiting for either of those things; neither is likely to happen anytime soon.

My suggestion (and what I do) is this: just ignore the "Fight Club" political threads, completely. Don't read them, even out of curiosity. Instead, focus on the stuff that interests you-- like electronics. This tactic works great to keep the blood pressure down and promote serenity.

spinnaker

Joined Oct 29, 2009
Of course this thread is actually about "politics" so it's the perfect place to make an example of what the 'rules' are about. About Rules is just a rational for discussing the limits or lack of limits about politics on this forum. I agree it's about time to call it a day but if others post then others will reply in kind.

No its not. The thread is about the rules that were put in place long ago and if they should be followed or should be changed.

We are all adults here (or most of us). I don't see why it is so hard to follow the rules that are in place.

nsaspook

Joined Aug 27, 2009
No its not. The thread is about the rules that were put in place long ago and if they should be followed or should be changed.
The solution is to eliminate off-topic and to require all threads and responses to be on topic to the listed discussion. The reason the absolute politics rule is unenforced is that the politics of policy is intrinsic to conversation today even in what should be a strictly scientific conversation (climate change as an example). A absolute ban or prohibition strictly on 'politics' would mean no discussions on anything the government has a say about. Today that covers just about anything including if you can repair your cell-phone or fix your tractor.

spinnaker

Joined Oct 29, 2009
The solution is to eliminate off-topic and to require all threads and responses to be on topic to the listed discussion. The reason the absolute politics rule is unenforced is that the politics of policy is intrinsic to conversation today even in what should be a strictly scientific conversation (climate change as an example). A absolute ban or prohibition strictly on 'politics' would mean no discussions on anything the government has a say about. Today that covers just about anything including if you can repair your cell-phone or fix your tractor.

The solution is to just follow the rules. Everyone knows what politics is. If you want to carry it to the absurd then even discussion is politically related since there are government rules surrounding manufacture and use of electronic components.

nsaspook

Joined Aug 27, 2009
The solution is to just follow the rules. Everyone knows what politics is. If you want to carry it to the absurd then even discussion is politically related since there are government rules surrounding manufacture and use of electronic components.
https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/political
a : of or relating to government, a government, or the conduct of government
We know what defines it, so the question is, who decides it? I'm on another forum where education and science policy exemptions exist for politics. Should there be exemptions for the media, civil rights, and the truth in general? If the users and owners of the forum don't want these types of discussions here then limit the scope of possible subjects by the elimination of a free for all subject off-topic sub-forum that's a magnet for sometimes overt political discussions of these types. This makes non-political moderation on all posts much easier by the elimination of questionable content in a open category creating a virus for elsewhere.

GopherT

Joined Nov 23, 2012
https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/political

We know what defines it, so the question is, who decides it? .
Just like you did when you were in elementary school, use the context words around the word you don't know to figure out the definition - or the specific definition intended if a word has more than one definition. Keep it up and you'll realize that alternative facts are not needed to communicate clearly and accurately with your peers. Also, you'll learn how stupid your lame arguments are. Soon, you'll be communicating like a real adult.

As for your question about "who". Don't be silly, you know it's me.

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
It is funny.I reportedtheTrumpcartonn to start a discussion on it I am feeling very uncertain myself nowdays.I live in TX where I am being targeted by politics I Wonder if I willl live long enough to see how it will turn out?

ronv

Joined Nov 12, 2008
I don't know, I kind of like it. It's pretty well contained to 1 or 2 threads. I think you can see the popularity from the post count. I don't see the problem in ignoring them if it bothers you. For example I looked at EHT power supply a couple of times and decided it didn't hold my interest, so now I don't read it anymore. Sorry HP. :D

I don't know, I kind of like it. It's pretty well contained to 1 or 2 threads. I think you can see the popularity from the post count. I don't see the problem in ignoring them if it bothers you. For example I looked at EHT power supply a couple of times and decided it didn't hold my interest, so now I don't read it anymore. Sorry HP. :D
Granting that EHT generation, particle/quantum physics, etc... enjoy but a 'niche audience' among electronics professionals - said topics are, nonetheless, both harmless to the community and well within the purview and 'spirit' of these fora... -- All of which is much more than might honestly be said of politics...

Advocacy of off topic 'hot button' discussion with the weak (I daresay disingenuous) rationalization of same as 'readily ignored' and without fora-wide deleterious effects is positively embarrassing! -- Clearly your social skills are 'up to' apprehension of fundamental human nature!:confused: -- Again: I respect your intelligence - why do you feel a need to insult mine?

Inasmuch as the fora participants are uncompensated content providers I regard said whimsical trampling of the UA/TOS as contemptuous betrayal of said membership!

Insofar as placement of AAC on a par with GLP (and its ilk) in the name of 'business' (Spec SEO) seems the desire of 'the powers that be' -- there is little I can (nor, frankly, any longer desire) to do:( -- While I'm prepared to advise you that your 'ship' is sinking I'll not ride it to the bottom by way of demonstration of my point...

Sincerely and (yet) hopefully
HP

ronv

Joined Nov 12, 2008
Granting that EHT generation, particle/quantum physics, etc... enjoy but a 'niche audience' among electronics professionals - said topics are, nonetheless, both harmless to the community and well within the purview and 'spirit' of these fora... -- All of which is much more than might honestly be said of politics...

Advocacy of off topic 'hot button' discussion with the weak (I daresay disingenuous) rationalization of same as 'readily ignored' and without fora-wide deleterious effects is positively embarrassing! -- Clearly your social skills are 'up to' apprehension of fundamental human nature!:confused: -- Again: I respect your intelligence - why do you feel a need to insult mine?

Inasmuch as the fora participants are uncompensated content providers I regard said whimsical trampling of the UA/TOS as contemptuous betrayal of said membership!

Insofar as placement of AAC on a par with GLP (and its ilk) in the name of 'business' (Spec SEO) seems the desire of 'the powers that be' -- there is little I can (nor, frankly, any longer desire) to do:( -- While I'm prepared to advise you that your 'ship' is sinking I'll not ride it to the bottom by way of demonstration of my point...

Sincerely and (yet) hopefully
HP
I'm not trying to insult you. I just don't understand why if it bothers you you keep looking at it.
I did take a look at EHT and I would point out in my mind you violate:
- No Abusing or Insulting Members
Fun is where you find it.:D

djsfantasi

Joined Apr 11, 2010
I am comfortable with the existence of said threads, provided I am given the choice of ignoring same. Otherwise for many reasons noted elsewhere they intrude upon my peaceful enjoyment of this forum.

spinnaker

Joined Oct 29, 2009

But the violate the rules for the forum. So either the rules need to be followed or they need to be changed. That was my claim.

ronv

Joined Nov 12, 2008
But the violate the rules for the forum. So either the rules need to be followed or they need to be changed. That was my claim.
Yes, I understand, but I think this is settled law as they say. I could probably find it if it would make you feel better, but I don't think it would. I do support containing it in one or 2 threads and I for one try not to let it permeate all of them. But there are a lot of topics that are very educational. I don't think you want to loose those either.

djsfantasi

Joined Apr 11, 2010
I would propose that NONE of the threads that are violating the letter of the law are educational. I personally was sucked into one of them and finally extracted myself.

One can detect a certain style. Primarily, no one participating in those threads have an open mind and cannot be educated. There goes that argument. Participants have devolved the thread into a pissing contest.

When I came on board, the restriction was explained to me as this is exactly what would happen. And that feelings and respect, central to AAC, would be lost.

Again, if this is "settled law" give me the choice of opting out.

I can imagine another diaspora.