Rotating ring mechanism help !

BillB3857

Joined Feb 28, 2009
In my younger days, a machine I worked on used Dynamic braking on a 50/100 HP 3600/7200 RPM (Used a rotary converter to make 120Hz for the 7200RPM) direct drive spindle. It would stop the spindle within seconds simply by applying a high DC current between two phase leads of the motor. A timer was used to turn off the DC shortly after the spindle had stopped. If set too long, the spindle could barely be turned by hand.

MisterBill2

Joined Jan 23, 2018
In my younger days, a machine I worked on used Dynamic braking on a 50/100 HP 3600/7200 RPM (Used a rotary converter to make 120Hz for the 7200RPM) direct drive spindle. It would stop the spindle within seconds simply by applying a high DC current between two phase leads of the motor. A timer was used to turn off the DC shortly after the spindle had stopped. If set too long, the spindle could barely be turned by hand.
The demo that I used was to spin up a 3-phase motor sitting on the shop floor and connected by an adequate power cord. After spinning it up, quickly unplugging it from the starter box and plugging it into a shorted outlet held in a bench vise would make the motor roll over on the floor. Yes, it was a crude non-instrumented demo, but it was adequate to prove a point. And of course, since I knew waht would happen, there were adequate safety provisions to keep everything safe.