RMS values

DysonElec

Joined Apr 21, 2008
Hi, I have an exam coming up and I need a little help with getting my head around "RMS values". There was a question in a mock exam I did which was "what is the 'constant' for RMS values?" now I know that the answer is 0.707 but I don't understand what it's about. Can anyone point me in the right direction plzz? thanks

mik3

Joined Feb 4, 2008
Hi, I have an exam coming up and I need a little help with getting my head around "RMS values". There was a question in a mock exam I did which was "what is the 'constant' for RMS values?" now I know that the answer is 0.707 but I don't understand what it's about. Can anyone point me in the right direction plzz? thanks
To find the rms value you multiply the peak value by the constant you said (0.707) which is more accurately equal to 1 divided by square root of 2. Also this constant is valid only for pure sine waves and for other type of signals like triangular waves. This constant is derived by using calculus. Are you interested to see how?

DysonElec

Joined Apr 21, 2008
I greatly appreciate your help, but i already checked this website out, and couldn't understand it. the coarse i have just started is electrical installation, so only a basic understanding is needed. could you please find a why to help me understand the basics of this topic? thanks

mik3

Joined Feb 4, 2008
I greatly appreciate your help, but i already checked this website out, and couldn't understand it. the coarse i have just started is electrical installation, so only a basic understanding is needed. could you please find a why to help me understand the basics of this topic? thanks
Come on dont be bored, read it carefully.:) You actually dont need to know how this constant is derived, just use it. I dont have time now to explain maybe another time i will post the explanation.

Dave

Joined Nov 17, 2003
If only a basic understanding is needed then accept that the 0.707 comes from \(1/\)\(\sqrt{2}\) and then read the qualitative description in the e-book: http://www.allaboutcircuits.com/vol_2/chpt_1/3.html

Dave