Rising edge timer needed to control solenoid/solution sprayer

electronice123

Joined Oct 10, 2008
Hi all,

My main board on my Floor cleaner/scrubber (Tineco Ifloor2) went out & I got tired of waiting for the battery to charge so I just converted it to run on my Ryobi batteries.

Everything works great except the solution sprayer. It's a 13 ohm load, it seems to be a type of solenoid as it only sprays for about 1 second then stops spraying, but it will continue to pull current as long as power is applied.

The OEM board must have had a type of timer on it. I need a solution that will be positive edge triggered so when I first squeeze the trigger it will apply power to the solenoid then shut off within 1 second and only turn back on when I release then press the trigger again.

Initially I tried a 555 monostable circuit to drive a transistor but realized it won't work because if I continue to hold the trigger down it will continue to apply power and burn up the solenoid.

I also though just a switch would work but figured the contacts would burn up as it pulls over 1.5A and arcs.

Any suggestions/solutions or ideas will be greatly appreciated.

eetech00

Joined Jun 8, 2013
Hi all,

My main board on my Floor cleaner/scrubber (Tineco Ifloor2) went out & I got tired of waiting for the battery to charge so I just converted it to run on my Ryobi batteries.

Everything works great except the solution sprayer. It's a 13 ohm load, it seems to be a type of solenoid as it only sprays for about 1 second then stops spraying, but it will continue to pull current as long as power is applied.

The OEM board must have had a type of timer on it. I need a solution that will be positive edge triggered so when I first squeeze the trigger it will apply power to the solenoid then shut off within 1 second and only turn back on when I release then press the trigger again.

Initially I tried a 555 monostable circuit to drive a transistor but realized it won't work because if I continue to hold the trigger down it will continue to apply power and burn up the solenoid.

I also though just a switch would work but figured the contacts would burn up as it pulls over 1.5A and arcs.

Any suggestions/solutions or ideas will be greatly appreciated.
Post your 555 circuit and we’ll show how to fix it..

electronice123

Joined Oct 10, 2008
Its just a generic 555 monostable with a 1M ohm and 1uF cap to give an on time of around 1 second.
Here is the circuit: https://www.allaboutcircuits.com/tools/555-timer-monostable-circuit/

The problem is the trigger on the floor cleaner is on the handle so it gets held down when using it.
The monostable turns on when I push the trigger and won't start timing until I release the trigger. I need it to start timing as soon as I push the trigger whether I release it or not in order to protect the solenoid from burning up.

eetech00

Joined Jun 8, 2013
Its just a generic 555 monostable with a 1M ohm and 1uF cap to give an on time of around 1 second.
Here is the circuit: https://www.allaboutcircuits.com/tools/555-timer-monostable-circuit/

The problem is the trigger on the floor cleaner is on the handle so it gets held down when using it.
The monostable turns on when I push the trigger and won't start timing until I release the trigger. I need it to start timing as soon as I push the trigger whether I release it or not in order to protect the solenoid from burning up.
Configure the 555 input trigger with a differentiator so that when the mechanical trigger is pressed, a short negative going pulse triggers the 555. The 555 output will energize only for the timing duration. The 555 won't trigger again until the mechanical trigger is released and pressed again.
Configure like this:
1645660554518.png
BTW-What is the supply voltage for the 555?

electronice123

Joined Oct 10, 2008
Configure the 555 input trigger with a differentiator so that when the mechanical trigger is pressed, a short negative going pulse triggers the 555. The 555 output will energize only for the timing duration. The 555 won't trigger again until the mechanical trigger is released and pressed again.
Configure like this:
View attachment 261434
BTW-What is the supply voltage for the 555?
Differentiator circuit. Great idea. Thank you so much.

The rising edge timer is used to control the flow of water from the solution sprayer. This device is typically attached to the end of the hose that delivers the water to the solution sprayer.

MisterBill2

Joined Jan 23, 2018
OK, new information about the application.
Is there any chance that the failed Main Board can be repaired? And is there any chance that an alternate power supply could be added? That might be a better option, unless that board still needed the battery.
Going back to post#1, I am guessing that the Main Board was a power supply that provided a mains power conversion to operate the solenoid valve. It must also have provided isolation from the mains. If the trigger switch was in the direct feed to the solenoid valve then it may be OK to control the valve coil directly. In that case, if mains power is available to the Main Board location, there can be another option, replacing the main board.
Please let us know.

Last edited:

shortbus

Joined Sep 30, 2009
And is there any chance that an alternate power supply could be added? That might be a better option, unless that board still needed the battery.
Going back to post#1, I am guessing that the Main Board was a power supply that provided a mains power conversion to operate the solenoid valve.
Did you really go back? First part of the first paragraph of the first post -

MisterBill2

Joined Jan 23, 2018
Did you really go back? First part of the first paragraph of the first post -
OK, short, how would you see the meaning of that? I saw it as implying that the battery was the alternative to the main board, and so a battery was used. And note that I did state that I was guessing. So now tell us how you understand the statements. OR, are you just throwing stones ?

shortbus

Joined Sep 30, 2009
OR, are you just throwing stones ?
Again with the throwing stones. Questioning your words may seem like that to you but it is what it is, questioning you. You make some outlandish statements you know. Many here have called you out on some of them, but yet you don't say they are throwing stones. I have made some statements and provided links to back them up, and one certain member here alway or most always says bad things to me . Do I cry and act like a baby and accuse him of throwing stones? No I argue my point. Something you can't do when you know your wrong and see it before your own eyes.

I saw it as implying that the battery was the alternative to the main board, and so a battery was used.
I read it as his original battery was failing so he switched to a Ryobi battery. Something I've done for a Craftsman impact driver.