Right placement of current sensor in motor application

Xavier Pacheco Paulino

Joined Oct 21, 2015
Hi,

I'm going to use the TLI4970 current sensor to monitor the current on a PMDC motor. I've place it at the drain, as shown in the attachment. However, I've seen that it could also be placed at source lead. Is there any significant difference? Which one could be the best arrangement?

Attachments

ericgibbs

Joined Jan 29, 2010
hi X,
Unless I am mis-reading your diagram The Vbus voltage Motor voltage ~120Vdc, uses the same ground as the MOSFET Source and Gate. GND2.
So if the Motor load was in the Source, what would happen to the Vgs switching voltage.?
E

ericgibbs

Joined Jan 29, 2010
hiX,
Your posted diagram shows 'low side' drive, with the motor in the Drain, I was trying to point out, you could not just change the position of the motor to the Source, without making changes to the Gate driving circuit.OK.?
As you say, it would mean converting to a 'high side' Gate drive.
E

Xavier Pacheco Paulino

Joined Oct 21, 2015
hiX,
Your posted diagram shows 'low side' drive, with the motor in the Drain, I was trying to point out, you could not just change the position of the motor to the Source, without making changes to the Gate driving circuit.OK.?
As you say, it would mean converting to a 'high side' Gate drive.
E
Got it. Thank you for pointing it out. Now I know a new thing :). I wasn't aware of the changes to be made for converting a N-Channel low side to a high side. Even though I won't convert this circuit to high side.

Back to the current monitor, as others said, it would be suitable to place it at source lead. However, I read that putting it at the FET source will just add the much smaller IGS to the IDS current I'm are already monitoring. But I'm not sure about that concept.

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
There are also current sensing Mosfets called Sensefets, see AND8093, AN10322.
There is also the ACS712 on ebay for a couple of $$'s.
Max.