Right of way VS common sense

Markd77

Joined Sep 7, 2009
I can imagine that if entering traffic has priority, then the roundabout would get packed full of cars. It might be safer because the speeds would be lower.

ErnieM

Joined Apr 24, 2011
Mariners have the rules spelled out better, as there is a right-of-way meta rule stating "just don't hit anything no matter what the other rules say." I tend to freely give my right of way away in the interest of safety. I always get a good feeling when I can block traffic for someone doing something odd (say backing to parallel park on a main street).

As far as stop signs go, we seem to have an unwritten rule here that "the vehicle that actually comes to a complete stop at a stop sign has given up it's right of way." Meaning when I actually come to a complete stop any car crossing my path will usually not stop and keep going in right front of me. I'm so used to that so I don't go until they actually stop.

Even yielding the way doesn't always work: this morning I was making a right as an oncoming (short) bus was making a left. I slowed to stop and waved him on, he instead waved me thru. I waved back and acknowledgement and eased back on the gas, and instead of stopping the bus also gave it the gas.

My car, having better acceleration then a bus saved the day.

thatoneguy

Joined Feb 19, 2009
Hello,

Even a small country as Holland has some interchanges like that:
Ridderkerk, Holland

Bertus

Close, but that is only 3 levels tall, including the street, and there's only 3 four lanes feeding it.

The one in the photo above is 4 4 lanes meeting and is 5 levels tall IIRC, I remember it being huge and annoying and impossible to change to the correct lane at the right time on when I went through the mess.

MrChips

Joined Oct 2, 2009
Mariners have the rules spelled out better, as there is a right-of-way meta rule stating "just don't hit anything no matter what the other rules say."
I'm a sailor too and I know what you mean.
Even yielding the way doesn't always work: this morning I was making a right as an oncoming (short) bus was making a left. I slowed to stop and waved him on, he instead waved me thru. I waved back and acknowledgement and eased back on the gas, and instead of stopping the bus also gave it the gas.
Bad mistake. Never wave anyone on.

ErnieM

Joined Apr 24, 2011
Bad mistake. Never wave anyone on.
I wave them on so they are gone and thus can't hit me. I have more spare time to wait then I have spare money to pay for repairs.

I do drive a beater pick up truck that is not only old enough to vote it is old enough to drink. I had it parked in front of my neighbor's house one day and another neighbor from across the street backed into it and then (as he told me) hit the gas instead of the brake. Put a significant dent on the side of the bed, but did not due any real structural damage.

He did the right thing and left me a note as I was away that day. He was lucky since this is a beater truck and I don't really care what it looks like, as long it still goes and I can load it up with stuff when I need to.

I told him to forget it. He had a very nice fruit basket delivered to us.

Profit.

tracecom

Joined Apr 16, 2010
Today, my wife was driving in a strip mall. There is a parking lot for common use and a two lane driveway between the parking lot and the strip mall fire lane and sidewalk. We were in the driving lane closest to the mall, and she had stopped to let me out to pick up the dry cleaning. Just as I opened the passenger door (into the fire lane), a Hummer H3 blew by in the fire lane between me and the sidewalk. I jumped back and closed the door; no contact.

Then, the Hummer turned left in front of our car and pulled into a space about 30 feet into the parking lot. The windows were blacked out, but I was foolish enough to walk to the Hummer and motion for the driver to roll down the window. She did, and I asked her if she knew how close she came to taking my door off. She replied that we shouldn't have "parked in the street" and that she "went like this" while throwing up her hands, as if that gesture somehow entitled her to pass us on the right in a fire lane.

I tried to tell her that she was driving recklessly, but she was determined that she had done absolutely nothing wrong. I gave up and walked away. (Thankfully, I was still able.)

MrChips

Joined Oct 2, 2009
I would say you have a lot of nerve to knock on the window of a Hummer. I would have expected you to be staring down the barrel of a gun.

THE_RB

Joined Feb 11, 2008
Depends if it was a real Hummer or one of those pretend GM Hummers bought by complete tossers. ;)

Anyway, there was nothing to stop tracecom letting the Hummers tyres down to teach the owner some manners. Evil prospers because good men stand by and take it like pussies.