Right in my backyard

spinnaker

Joined Oct 29, 2009
I may have mentioned this trail before. There is an extension of this trail just behind my house. I can get on there and ride almost all the way to Washington DC 334 miles (554km) on trail. At most 5% is roads and they are just some back country roads.

I have done the whole thing once and from Pittsburgh to Cumberland twice. But I ride bits of it several times each year.

https://www.wqed.org/ride

spinnaker

Joined Oct 29, 2009
In case the video gets you hooked and if any of the regular forum members decide they want to do this ride, I would be happy to set you up, You would be welcome to stay here to launch the rip or end it here.

It really is pretty easy. As long as you are in reasonably good condition you can do it.

cmartinez

Joined Jan 17, 2007
In case the video gets you hooked and if any of the regular forum members decide they want to do this ride, I would be happy to set you up, You would be welcome to stay here to launch the rip or end it here.

It really is pretty easy. As long as you are in reasonably good condition you can do it.
Man ... if I were 10 years younger, and half a million dollars richer .... I'd definitely join you (and what the heck, invite you) on a quest like this one...

spinnaker

Joined Oct 29, 2009
Man ... if I were 10 years younger, and half a million dollars richer .... I'd definitely join you (and what the heck, invite you) on a quest like this one...

You can't be that old. How old are you?

And it doesn't take a half a million. Cheap flight to Pittsburgh. Cheap flight home. Most expensive hotel on the route is $120 US. A hostel in Rockwood is only $25 a night or so, There is both a hostel and guesthouse in Harpers Ferry, that is cheap. The guest house has both doem and private rooms that are pretty cheap.

Except for the other end in DC where it can be expensive but there are options there too. A hostel and there is a Quaker home where you can stay that is cheap. There is also warmshowers which is a touring organization. Lots of hosts in DC.

Plus you can camp all the way though I would not recommend camping once past Cumberland. Too wet and too many bugs. There is free camping and paid camping options pretty much the whole way. Paid camping gets you a shower. Free camping, you can take a bath in the river. ;) The C&O portion lacks paid options. Though there is a bike shop in Meyersdale that has a bunk house and lets people stay for free. I think they charge a few bucks for a shower.

And you don't need to do the whole thing. Conneslville, Rockwood and Cumberland all have train stations. Though if someone were to come a long distance to do the trail I woudl recommend doing the whole thing.

spinnaker

Joined Oct 29, 2009
Sounds like a great trip.
How far did you typically go in a day?

P.S. Your post title has a sort of funny typo. :D
LOL just noticed it :)

I am comfortable with about 60 miles a day but you can do as many miles as you want (pretty much). There are people that do half that then there are people who do it straight in one shot in 36 hours.