rifles and guns

magnet18

Joined Dec 22, 2010
As a result, the work of changing gear, and the precise handbrake control needed when starting off uphill is done with the left hand. It does seem to be a bit of a struggle for a lot of learner drivers, although most seem to get the hang of it in the end.
Why do you need the handbrake to get going uphill?
In America we just use the foot brake, I cant remember the last time I even saw handbrake in a car, let alone be used for anything but parking.

[EDIT]
I just remembered my car has a handbrake, I forgot this because it doesn't work, never has since I got it. And in those cars that do have them they're called emergency brakes, or parking brakes, because thats the only time anyone ever uses them.

Last edited:

Adjuster

Joined Dec 26, 2010
In a car with a manual transmission, many drivers would difficulty using the clutch pedal, accelerator pedal and brake pedal simultaneously (assuming they have only two legs). It can be done, but the pedals in a lot of ordinary cars are not well configured for it.

Apart from high performance drivers in high-performance cars, most people find using the handbrake safer and more convenient. Personally, I would be unwilling to use a vehicle with a defective handbrake. In any case, it's a legal requirement.

jpanhalt

Joined Jan 18, 2008
The one thing I remember from when wife and I last visited England is she thought I had gained some new sense of civility, you know, opening the door for her. It was like dating again. Then we flew back to the US.:(
John

Georacer

Joined Nov 25, 2009
I've never driven abroad, but wonder whether driving on the right would be easier? Of course, anyone who had driven one way for decades would no doubt find that way more natural, but I wonder which way might be inherently better. Perhaps other factors would be more important than the transmission controls.
I don't think that driving need such precise micro-movements that require the right hand's attention exclusively. I think the whole steering system is less accurate than your less accurate hand.

For example, I can change the gear with my left hand if I want or need to - and my stick is on my right!

magnet18

Joined Dec 22, 2010
In a car with a manual transmission, many drivers would difficulty using the clutch pedal, accelerator pedal and brake pedal simultaneously (assuming they have only two legs). It can be done, but the pedals in a lot of ordinary cars are not well configured for it.
Ive never had any problems, even the first time I did it I was fine. Let off the break and hit the gas, while slowly letting off the clutch. Ive done it on a 30degree angle without moving backwards at all.

Apart from high performance drivers in high-performance cars, most people find using the handbrake safer and more convenient.
The handbrake isn't even an option for most people, like I said, most have the E-brake as another pedal, and there's usually a lever under the dash that you need to pull in order to release it.

Adjuster

Joined Dec 26, 2010
Clearly, vehicles used in different countries may have different control layouts. On the whole, the design of cars used here is probably more conservative than you might find in the USA. However it has come about, I can assure you that handbrakes are still pretty much a standard feature on manual transmission cars here. In most cases the brake control is a lever placed immediately behind the gear stick, although this is by no means universal.

It is interesting to hear that you can use the foot brake alone. I fear that any attempt at heel-and-toe on my part might end unhappily. Bearing in mind my limited aptitude for such things, and the rather widely spaced pedals in my vehicle, it might be fairer to to the rest of the community if I did not try any such experiments.

magnet18

Joined Dec 22, 2010
Clearly, vehicles used in different countries may have different control layouts. On the whole, the design of cars used here is probably more conservative than you might find in the USA. However it has come about, I can assure you that handbrakes are still pretty much a standard feature on manual transmission cars here. In most cases the brake control is a lever placed immediately behind the gear stick, although this is by no means universal.
How are your vehicles laid out?

E__C__B_G
______________S

is the general layout of a car over here
(E-brake, clutch, brake, gas, stick)

It is interesting to hear that you can use the foot brake alone. I fear that any attempt at heel-and-toe on my part might end unhappily. Bearing in mind my limited aptitude for such things, and the rather widely spaced pedals in my vehicle, it might be fairer to to the rest of the community if I did not try any such experiments.
My dad went to London about a year ago, and he said that the fact that you always used that drove him absolutely crazy.
Go out to the country and give it a try on a hill sometime, then you can impress all your British friends :)
(In case your confused, we don't heel-and-toe[I think], we only ever have one foot one one pedal.

VoodooMojo

Joined Nov 28, 2009
The one thing I remember from when wife and I last visited England is she thought I had gained some new sense of civility, you know, opening the door for her. It was like dating again. Then we flew back to the US.:(
John
this is funny!
Did she ever figure out it was just you acting out of habit?

Georacer

Joined Nov 25, 2009
Ive never had any problems, even the first time I did it I was fine. Let off the break and hit the gas, while slowly letting off the clutch. Ive done it on a 30degree angle without moving backwards at all.

The handbrake isn't even an option for most people, like I said, most have the E-brake as another pedal, and there's usually a lever under the dash that you need to pull in order to release it.
You did that on a stick shift, right? Because on an automatic it really is a different story.
You can start on a stick shift uphill with quickly switching from break to gas, no objection there, but it is too fast and clumsy. Revs go too high and the car jerks.
I prefer to be smoother, like a limo driver, and use the handbrake to achieve that.

And, yes, the handbrake is a standard feature in Greece too. Only some old pick-ups (80's and before) have an e-brake. Automatics have a very small share of the market here.

Kermit2

Joined Feb 5, 2010
Holding a standard transmission vehicle on an incline and then moving forward from a stop, is all a function of clutch engagement.

It is easy to do, with a small learning curve. The result is smooth, non jerking acceleration away from a stop, and a much shorter life span for the clutch and pressure plate assembly due to the constant friction between the clutch and plate. Using a hand brake is a smarter way, and less wear and tear on the machinery

To stay on topic, I'll add: Don't drive a standard transmission on a drive by shooting.

magnet18

Joined Dec 22, 2010
You did that on a stick shift, right? Because on an automatic it really is a different story.
yea, on an automatic there is no story, just hit the gas.
You can start on a stick shift uphill with quickly switching from break to gas, no objection there, but it is too fast and clumsy. Revs go too high and the car jerks.
Not if you know how to control the clutch.
I prefer to be smoother, like a limo driver, and use the handbrake to achieve that.
limos are for wimps, gimme a jeep :)
And, yes, the handbrake is a standard feature in Greece too. Only some old pick-ups (80's and before) have an e-brake. Automatics have a very small share of the market here.
IIRC they have better mileage, you have high gas prices, right?

Georacer

Joined Nov 25, 2009
I think too that modern automatic cars have better mileage, and gas prices are indeed high: New raises will push gas price at 1.7€/litre.

However, there are many reasons why we won't see too many automatics in the future in Greece. They are quite more expensive than regular models, at lest by a thousand euros, and many small-medium models don't even come as automatics.
Another drawback of automatics is that they burn the brake pads much faster than manuals.
Finally, habit is second nature and we may renounce automatic transmission just because we aren't used to it.

And for the male population who is interested in driving in more than transportation level, manual transmission seems a lot more "manly" to us.
Of course, no offense meant towards male automatic drivers.

scobar

Joined Jul 6, 2010
four pages later and this thread is no where near it started, but very interesting.

I shoot right handed with both eys open with all firearms from pistol to bow. Try it and you will be supriced on your improvrd accuracy

magnet18

Joined Dec 22, 2010
I think too that modern automatic cars have better mileage, and gas prices are indeed high: New raises will push gas price at 1.7€/litre.
Whoops, I meant that to mean that manual have better mileage, which they do, theres no energy lost in pressure in the transmission or something, IDK for sure, but my dad designed trucks and jets and thats what he said.

And for the male population who is interested in driving in more than transportation level, manual transmission seems a lot more "manly" to us.
Of course, no offense meant towards male automatic drivers.
I personally prefer manual, we have the same feelings here.
However, in America you'd be amazed how few people know how to drive stick, especially girls. I think knowing how to drive both should be required for your license, but alas... nope.

Not sure how this compares but we have about $3.25 gallon here, I can work in metric and English both but don't want to do the conversions, I think its cheaper.

I hope it stays cheap because my cars a 1990 ford muatang GT, 5 Liter, convertible. Not exactly fuel efficient :)

Markd77

Joined Sep 7, 2009
Over here if you pass your test in an automatic, you can't drive manual cars, so of course everyone takes the test in a manual. Perhaps that is part of the reason that manual cars are so popular over here.

Adjuster

Joined Dec 26, 2010
I don't know much about firearms, never having owned or even used one. This may seem odd to those who live in communities where every man has his gun, but it is quite common here.

Whether we are discussing hand guns or hand brakes, I think it is difficult for many of us to grasp how much things which we take for granted in our own environment may be different elsewhere. Even if we are aware of some differences, the natural assumption seems to be that "we" have made the right choices, and "those odd people over there" have got it wrong.

Clearly then, I am superior because I have a handbrake. On the other hand, you have a hand gun. Oh dear, I'm about to get shot! What to do? Execute a handbrake turn, and beat a hasty retreat!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m1PwOrSM_EA

Typical layout of UK manual car controls.

(Clutch, Brake, Accelerator, Gear lever, Handbrake)

-----C---B--A

G

H

Last edited: