RF diffraction and wind turbine

Allumiin

Joined Jun 5, 2016
Hello everybody, speaking on behalf of someone I know.
He has a question regarding RF diffraction and wind turbines. Specifically a wind turbine cannot be built near a radio station (or vise versa), if the turbine total height and station antenna height dont heed to a formula. The formula is in the attachment.
Where N-minimum distance between wind turbine and radio station, in kilometers
h1- length of the radio station antenna, in meters
h2- length of the maximum turbine height (including the blade), in meters
His question is: does this formula hold any scientific merit, or is this something made up randomly ?
Thank you for reading

Attachments

Alec_t

Joined Sep 17, 2013
This could be a spoof, since why not use the simpler factor 2.06 instead of 4.12/2? Also, plug in some numbers and see if the answer is reasonable: I don't think it is. For example, if you built a 1m high mini-turbine, would it really have to be 4.12 kilometres from a 1m high antenna?
Can you post a link to the source including the formula?

Allumiin

Joined Jun 5, 2016
This could be a spoof, since why not use the simpler factor 2.06 instead of 4.12/2? Also, plug in some numbers and see if the answer is reasonable: I don't think it is. For example, if you built a 1m high mini-turbine, would it really have to be 4.12 kilometres from a 1m high antenna?
Can you post a link to the source including the formula?
I'm afraid thats about it, this is sort of taken from a certain law and regulations page in my country, the one who I speak for has a suspicion that this formula is pretty much made up by someone at some time and has no right to exist in the regulations. He just wants a second opinion, if this formula holds any sort of merit, at all.

BR-549

Joined Sep 22, 2013
Contact your windmill permitting agency. I'm quite sure they know the requirements. Ask for the engineer in charge.

GopherT

Joined Nov 23, 2012
There is plenty of information on-line about wind turbines interfering with radar and radio communications. Qinetic (UK) and Lockeed-Martin have done research about masking / absorbing radar signals to prevent false signals from wind turbines on air traffic control radar systems. A major problem before regulations were put in place. So many permanent false echoes were a real distraction for air traffic controllers.

Similar strobing of signals can occur on the broadcast side of EM signals. As said above, the formula is open for debate.
A 60m wind turbine and 100m tower produce laughable results.

tcmtech

Joined Nov 4, 2013
Either it's not an issue or the people here don't know about it being we have a wind farm with a number of cell phone towers around it plus a number of our primary local radio and TV transmitter towers a few miles off from it as well.

tcmtech

Joined Nov 4, 2013
tcmtech, do you notice problems with your signals?
No.

I see no reason they would interfere. The blades are largely fiberglass which is transparent to RF signals and the towers are of no major difference in size or spacing than common steel HV power line towers.