rewiring Apple earbuds for non-Apple devices

didvidyn

Joined Jul 18, 2017
I need to rewire apple earbuds in order to use them in non-apple devices, especially when mixing.
The earbuds TRRS plug is Right, Left, Gnd, Mic, ( unlike standard trrs: right, left, mic, ground. )

I got trrs to trs adapter, but it doesn’t work properly sounds like center channel is missing.
So the only way is to resoder the wiring.

So here’s where I’m stuck:
I cut the cable, but there are 5 wires, 2 are left and right for sure, but the other 3 all have 0 resistance between them, very strange.

I need to rewire apple earbuds in order to use them in non-apple devices, especially when mixing.
The earbuds TRRS plug is Right, Left, Gnd, Mic, ( unlike standard trrs: right, left, mic, ground. )

I got trrs to trs adapter, but it doesn’t work properly sounds like center channel is missing.
So the only way is to resoder the wiring.

So here’s where I’m stuck:
I cut the cable, but there are 5 wires, 2 are left and right for sure, but the other 3 all have 0 resistance between them, very strange.
Use your multimeter continuity test -- and check the continuity between the jack and the wire you will know perfectly which one connected to which one.

Tonyr1084

Joined Sep 24, 2015
Three of those five wires (Likely - but honestly just guessing) go to the ear buds (speakers). A left channel line, a common line and a right channel line. That's the typical standard way headphones are wired. The other two are possibly a microphone (if your headphones had one).

spinnaker

Joined Oct 29, 2009
You can buy earbuds for a couple of dollars. Why are you putting yourself through this pain? It isn't worth it. Those wires are TINY. The chances of tearing the earbuds apart, getting it all rewired and getting it all put back together where it works reliably are slim.