Rewiring a drill motor to have forward/reverse and speed contol

jpickles77

Joined Nov 4, 2015

Dodgydave

Joined Jun 22, 2012
Its just a simple frequency counter, needs a pulsed input, so an opto transistor and led will give you that, the reflecive paint bounces the light back to the transistor and causes a pulse, 60 rpm is 1 turn per second, so 60 white marks around the drive wheel gives 60 pulses per second, thats 60hz, or in your case 60 Rpm.

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013

jpickles77

Joined Nov 4, 2015
There is this on ebay http://www.ebay.com/itm/4-Digital-R...593713?hash=item3a86cb9b71:g:64UAAMXQ1ZhTfxql
Although I would be inclined to replace the hall sensor with a slot opto, or try the hall sensor with a ferrous metal detector in place of the magnet due to the possible unbalance caused by the magnet.
This is where I get my strip board if you want to do any proto typing.
Half way down the page.
http://www.futurlec.com/ProtoBoards.shtml.
Max.
Max i really like this set up, but im not sure what your saying? ...can i not just power this thing up, put the magnet on the belt pulley as a reading point and bang ive got RPM Read out? I would like to make it as simple as possible...i love electronics and would love to be able to build things from scratch but with 3 kids i dont have a whole lot of time.

jpickles77

Joined Nov 4, 2015
Yes, put magnet on the side of drive pulley, and it will pick up the pulses as it rotates, max was saying it may cause unbalance on the pulley, due to the extra weight, but cant see a small magnet making a big difference.

Same item $9

http://m.ebay.com/itm/New-Red-LED-4...ty-Switch-Sensor-NPN-/201105161130?nav=SEARCH
3 words, you guys rock! How do i power this? I have some LED lights running to my lathe, running of a 60w power supply, can i use this wire to power this? Hope you guys know I'm really not to experienced with this stuff, but want to learn.

jpickles77

Joined Nov 4, 2015
8 to 24V dc supply.
ok i have no idea how to hook it up then and i just ordered it lol. So what your saying is a 60 W power supply is too much power for it? Where would i find a 24V power supply or lower then? Do i have to buy a power supply just for this read out then? Or can i use a cell phone charger plug or something?

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
Look for a Wall Wart with the right rating.
One thing to be aware of, those proximity type switches often will detect ferrous metal, as the demo video show the magnet is attached to a Plexiglass wheel.
So you may have to test it to see if ferrous metal also trips the Prox. sw. to allow where you place the magnet.
Max.

jpickles77

Joined Nov 4, 2015
Look for a Wall Wart with the right rating.
One thing to be aware of, those proximity type switches often will detect ferrous metal, as the demo video show the magnet is attached to a Plexiglass wheel.
So you may have to test it to see if ferrous metal also trips the Prox. sw. to allow where you place the magnet.
Max.

wall wart? Max im thinking about your suggestion to get a better motor, and now that I have everything hooked up im starting to see what you mean. the motor seems flawed, or its the dimmer switch isn't actuating the voltage well enough. I need a motor that will still have torque under low speed etc. You mentioned a permanent magnet motor but my question is, is there a motor suitable for my current set up? meaning will it have 4 wires like this one so I can control forward reverse and speed? Also I think I shorted out the dimmer tonight when the ground wire hit steel while testing, there was a big spark and now I cannot control the speed, I can just turn it on and off with the dimmer...its also running very sluggish, and sometime its quiet but mostly loud. I found a motor in a little old ride on toy my mom got for my kids, so im wondering if that is the permanent magnet type. Any advice would be welcomed once again.

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
One popular motor for spindles is a Treadmill motor.
There are DC drives on ebay made by KB etc.
The ride on would be a DC motor most likely, and may be OK depending on size etc.
Max.

jpickles77

Joined Nov 4, 2015
Max I'm not using this motor for the spindle, but to make the carriage movement motorized left to right. The carriage holds the cutting tool that meets the workpiece. So I don't need all that much torque. A small motor with some good torque is what I need, since I don't have allot of room to make it work. I know stepper motors are quite popular but I think they are a bit pricy. If you have anything you can suggest from eBay I'd appreciate it.

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
What size or any details on the small motor from the toy?
You would just need a small DC motor for that, I assume you are not using it for machining in the Z as in a CNC machine?
Max.

jpickles77

Joined Nov 4, 2015
What size or any details on the small motor from the toy?
You would just need a small DC motor for that, I assume you are not using it for machining in the Z as in a CNC machine?
Max.
I have given up on the motor from the toy, I would of destroyed it trying to take it apart and my youngest still uses it to push around on, but the Motor isn't functional. The power feed is meant to move the carriage right and left, mainly to get it out of the way quickly when working with the work piece. If I put a long piece of steel in the chuck I would use the motor to make a steady cut along the work piece. I've heard fan speed controls are better than dimmer switches? As I mentioned I fried the dimmer somehow last night :(

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
Your drill will work on AC or DC the controller in the link is OK up to 60v so you would need a transformer and bridge for a DC supply.
Fan controls are typically dimmers with some extra suppression, not always heavier duty.
Max.

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
This is a small servo motor I put on a small Lathe I CNC'd for the Z axis, I replaced the Acme screw with a ball screw.
You could use a small motor and a gearbox, there are quite a few on ebay, cheap.
The motor can just be seen I tucked it back under the Bed end.

DSCF0177.JPG DSCF0180.JPG
View attachment 94269
Max.