Rewiring a drill motor to have forward/reverse and speed contol

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
I
That is a really good point. I thought about that briefly but my head was still on the wiring lol. I am going to give this a go tonight, and if it works i will be so relieved. I put as much thought as i could, and

a decent amount of money out to get this right so I really appreciate you and the Dave taking time out of your day to help me get this right.

Max the Dimmer has a ground on it, so from what ive read i just ground that wire? You mentioned earlier that your sketch didnt include colour, but now that ive showed you the setup, could i humbly ask for you to add show the colours?
I added colours to the DWG yesterday.
Yes, just take the ground to preferably the service ground coming from your outlet.
Ignore the blue wire from the dimmer.
Max.

jpickles77

Joined Nov 4, 2015
In comparing the 2 drawings the sketch Dave did is a little more simple for a rookie like me. Dave unless something has changed i will give it a go! I am really timid around this stuff and i put so much work into my profects that i dont want to see them fail. Also yesterday i didnt know allot of the terms you guys were putting on your drawings but now i have a better idea of the "lingo" All in all im so relieved, and thank you guys for your efforts, you have really made me a happy camper, ive been sitting on this project for months since i could not get any help. Im glad this site is here!

jpickles77

Joined Nov 4, 2015
Click on my name to see.....my logo gives a big clue...

ahh i see! Know anyone with the last name Pickles? Thats mine, and Great Britain is where my family came from. Hey do you have any knowledge on making tachometers? I want to be able to read the RPM's on my metal lathe, but i have no idea on how to do this. I would love to have a digital red read out showing me how fast its going.

Dodgydave

Joined Jun 22, 2012
Yes, you need to make a frequency to voltage converter using a LM2917 or 555 timer, or frequency counter using a microcontroller like pic, or Arduino, you probably can get one ready made on ebay.

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
Thats mine, and Great Britain is where my family came from. Hey do you have any knowledge on making tachometers? I want to be able to read the RPM's on my metal lathe, but i have no idea on how to do this. I would love to have a digital red read out showing me how fast its going.
I am another Canadian that hails from the UK originally.
If you can uses a hand held tach, the ones you can get for ~$15 are very good, search DT-2234 there are lots out there.
Alternatively there are permanent ones on ebay that you need to apply a optical or hall sensor for the read pulse.
Max.

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
I think the BC547 is a little redundant in that one, I use the H22A1 for the slot sensor.
For partsI use Digikey, they ship next day air for $8. and no duty or brokerage to Canada.
Max.

jpickles77

Joined Nov 4, 2015
I am another Canadian that hails from the UK originally.
If you can uses a hand held tach, the ones you can get for ~$15 are very good, search DT-2234 there are lots out there.
Alternatively there are permanent ones on ebay that you need to apply a optical or hall sensor for the read pulse.
Max.
tell me more please. Much like this power feed project, i want to make custom additions to my lathe, and cool lights too. I would love to have a nice bright blue or red digital read out for the RPM speed. Any advise you guys could give me would be welcomed.

Dodgydave

Joined Jun 22, 2012
Thats an opto sensor and led, it gives out a beam of light and gets reflected on the white painted dot, gives 1 pulse per rev, you still need a counter.