Reversing rotation of small 110v motor using alternating or impulse relay

dnesvacil

Joined Apr 25, 2023
Hey y’all, I’m very mechanically inclined but only a tiny bit of understanding of wiring. I’ve tried searching and I don’t know if I’m not using the proper terminology, but I can’t find what I’m looking for.
I’m building an egg turning rack that has multiple “shelves” that rotate -40 degrees , stops then 4 hours later it’ll turn the opposite direction and stop at +40 degrees. Every 4 hours it will rotate the opposite direction and stop.
I have a control unit that controls my heating elements/fans, humidity pump, and has a timer to turn on for a set time, then turn off for a set time and repeat. However that’s my only programming options.
My motor is a small 110v AC 1rpm motor that has a “power block” with a ground lug and 2 separate hot leg lugs. If I put my hot wire in the left lug, it spins clockwise, if I put the Hotwire in the right lug, it spins counterclockwise. My question is, can I use a spdt alternating or impulse relay to switch the rotation? My thinking is I would run the hot leg from the timer to the relay, then run both hot legs coming out of the relay and put one in the motor’s left lug and one in the right lug. Then have two limit switches to stop the shelves at each +\- 40 degree position. The alternating/impulse relay I was thinking about using was either a 711 or 712 style relay.
Am I thinking correctly that I can let the timer turn power on to rotate one way until it hits a limit switch, then in 4 hours it would “alternate” and go the opposite direction until it hits the other limit switch?

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
Sounds possible, can you link the motor and the relay, sounds like it could be a PSC motor, if so it can be reversed with a SPST switch, but you also need L.S. positioning.
Provide a link as to what you have at the moment.

dnesvacil

Joined Apr 25, 2023
Sounds possible, can you link the motor and the relay, sounds like it could be a PSC motor, if so it can be reversed with a SPST switch, but you also need L.S. positioning.
Provide a link as to what you have at the moment.
Here is the motor I purchased. It doesn’t have much info on their website.
https://incubatorwarehouse.com/cabinet-egg-turner-motor.html

here is a link if you scroll down it shows the 711 and 712 relays. I was gonna shop around to try to find an equivalent relay around $50 or less if I could. But don’t mind spending money if needed/ makes it easier
https://www.mouser.com/datasheet/2/357/105A_755-7090.pdf
I have not purchased anything for the wiring yet. And I was going to purchase a couple normal open limit switches as well.

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
Sounds like a PSC motor, if so it should run as per DWG. The colours are a bit different.
The cap maybe internal?
Substitute relay for switch
1682479830422.png

dnesvacil

Joined Apr 25, 2023
Thank you I will try that! Should the relay be responsible for swapping when it hits a limit switch? Or do I need to add something else?