reversing motor, switch, relay?

kuby

Joined Jul 23, 2021
hi there,
newbie here. i am looking for some help. i have a 12 volt dc source. i have a reversing switch (forward/stop/reverse, not sure of verbiage, spdt?) i don't want all the amps going to switch. i don't think the switch last (it has tiny leads going into it. i was thinking that if i had a relay before the switch, that would be better for the longevity of the switch. am i on the correct path? what would the schematic look like? i am putting in a power seat. in all, i have 3 motors and 3 switches. thanks in advance for your help.
kuby

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
You can get specialized switches for motors etc that have a automatic physical stop in centtre OFF in order to prevent going from FWD through stop directly to REV, for e.g.
Sold by KB drives, they can however be a tad expensive, the other method is two N.O. S.P relays for each stage operated by your SPDT centre off switches.
Check out automotive wreckers also for switches and motors gear boxes etc.

Last edited:

kuby

Joined Jul 23, 2021
thanks for the reply. i want to keep the original switches. when you talk about a relay for each stage, i am not sure wat you mean. i worked with a residential electrician for a few years, so my knowledge and vernacular is very limited. anyway, are you saying i would only need two relays (hook all 3 switches up parallel for the pos) and hook the 3 switches to the negative. the more i think about it the more i'm getting lost. obviously i don't understand relays and how they work. any help would be much appreciated. i was trying to think, i don't do it often, and it shows.
thanks much,
kuby

LesJones

Joined Jan 8, 2017
No you would need two relays for each motor. So six relays in total. the relays would need to be SPDT (Single pole double throw.) In the off position the motor would be shorted out so it would stop quickly. (Assuming permanent magnet motors.)

Les.

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
3 motors and 3 switches, = 6 SPST N.O. relays.
12vdc Relays can be had from Automotive wrecker.
I can post the idea but not at my CAD PC right now.

kuby

Joined Jul 23, 2021
if you get a chance at some point. could you draw a schematic of this layout.
thanks in advance,
kuby