Reverse rotation twice a second

Danny Vain-Nielsen

Joined Oct 26, 2015
Hi all!

I'm a an engineering student, and I don't know a whole lot about DC motors. Is it possible for a DC motor to reverse rotation twice a second? We need that kind of movement for a shaft. We might also have to make the rotational angle adjustable, meaning sometimes 180 degrees, other times 150 degrees. Is that possible and easy for a newbie to program?

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
Depends on the inertia of the armature and the load.
Do you intend accurate positioning?
If so you either need PID feedback or use a stepper motor.
Max.

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
57N-m, That is a considerable load, I envision some kind of gearing to use an small motor.
Is it possible to use a linear actuator to operate a small rack with a pinion on the shaft.
You may want to employ one of the free sizing programs to get an idea of sizing.
Such as Kollmorgen graphical motor sizing.
Max.

joeyd999

Joined Jun 6, 2011
57N-m, That is a considerable load, I envision some kind of gearing to use an small motor.
Is it possible to use a linear actuator to operate a small rack with a pinion on the shaft.
You may want to employ one of the free sizing programs to get an idea of sizing.
Such as Kollmorgen graphical motor sizing.
Max.
Why rack and pinion? Sounds like he just wants to move a shaft. Direct drive from the actuator.

crutschow

Joined Mar 14, 2008
Here are some high torque stepper motors (up to 50 Nm), but I don't know their cost.
You could likely use one of those with a gear reduction to increase the torque.

Biff383

Joined Jun 6, 2012
30hz for any motor seems to be asking a lot. Maybe better to think about a solinoid? Way simple in the US. Not all that difficult in the rest of the world.

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
I have a large NEW unused Bayside precision planetary through-hole gear box 15:1 with 180Nm output.
The original cost was around $2000 yours for $150.00 + shipping.
Max.

Last edited:

Danny Vain-Nielsen

Joined Oct 26, 2015
We will look at it... our budget is around 6500 € for everything the machine needs. But the school want us to buy only from wellknown companies.

I think the solution is to choose a 400 W DC motor and install to a constant speed at 60 rpm and then making a crank to get the forward and backwards movement.

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
I assume you are in Europe, so the shipping could be high.
But this is it, it was purchased for a project and never used, I am now semi-retired so it is suplus now.
Max.

Attachments