Resistor values for voltage divider biased common drain/collector amp

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
I did not see any information relative to how to drive the device. You mention two things that are not exactly compatible:
  1. Thing 1 is a bi-polar function generator (that means postive and negative voltage levels). It is 5 V P-P, not 10.
  2. thing 2 is a 24 volt power supply that cannot produce a negative voltage.
In you original post you mentioned a common collector amplifier (aka an emitter follower). This amplifier will NOT produce voltage gain which is something I think you want. In order to even experiment with this thing you should have an amplifier with voltage gain. It should be biased close to 12 volts which is half of your supply voltage with no AC input signal. The input and output should be AC coupled with a gain of about 2.2. That will turn your 5v peak to about 11 volts and give you a P-P output of 22 volts.

I have no idea if this is the right thing to do, or even if this will work since I have never worked with these devices. I think the comments on the aliexpress website are all about the same length and completely phony!

alangibson

Joined Sep 2, 2021
In order to even experiment with this thing you should have an amplifier with voltage gain. It should be biased close to 12 volts which is half of your supply voltage with no AC input signal. The input and output should be AC coupled with a gain of about 2.2. That will turn your 5v peak to about 11 volts and give you a P-P output of 22 volts.
That should have been common emitter in the original post.

Biasing the amp is exactly what I'm having trouble with. I haven't been able to find a reliable method to pick the various resistor values that doesn't include assumed resistor values.

Last edited:

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
That should have been common emitter in the original post. I'd change it but I don't see any option to edit.

Biasing the amp is exactly what I'm having trouble with. I haven't been able to find a reliable method to pick the various resistor values that doesn't include assumed resistor values.
Every elementary circuits book has the detailed procedure for designing a common emitter amplifier. It is far easier than rocket science. It is true that you might have some difficulty assimilating the information from online sources. Such is the nature of the internet.

BTW: I've never seen a competent author use magic resistor values.

atferrari

Joined Jan 6, 2004
I've read every page Google has to offer, and as far as I can tell they all have the same problem of assuming magic resistor values of including unexplained magic numbers. You'll find *a lot* of people making the same complaints in comment sections and on YouTube.
There are plenty well explained pages but I won't try to convince you of the contrary. Buena suerte.

alangibson

Joined Sep 2, 2021
Every elementary circuits book has the detailed procedure for designing a common emitter amplifier. It is far easier than rocket science. It is true that you might have some difficulty assimilating the information from online sources. Such is the nature of the internet.
Can you cite one? I've found plenty of resources for analyzing these circuits, but none that lay out a clear method for designing one from scratch.

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
There's a strange tendency on EE boards for people to claim that something is easy but not bother to contribute any actual information.
I have these two that are still available
Malvino, A. P., Semiconductor Circuit Approximations, 4th Ed.,1985, McGraw Hill, New York, pp150-179
Walston, J.A., Miller, J.R., Transistor Circuit Design, 1963, McGraw Hill, New York, pp.105-123

The rest of my elementary texts are out of print. Maybe a more recent student could help you out