Resistor Type Identification

Frank_SFL

Joined May 12, 2021
Hello Everyone,
I am very new to this site, but it looks great!
I have always enjoyed working with electronics as a hobby, but really need to learn more.
I am currently trying to determine what resistor I should use to replace the one in the photo.
It looks like a 300 ohm +- 5% 2W resistor. I am just not sure what type of resistor this is (carbon film, metal oxide, metal film, etc.).
Any ideas, suggestions, etc. It goes to a pool heater, and wanted to make sure that it is of the right type (flame retardant, etc.).
All help is appreciated!!
Thank you!!

Attachments

sagor

Joined Mar 10, 2019
What makes you think that resistor is bad? It looks ok visually.
For specific characteristics of a resistor, best to do a search on some of the major vendor's web sites. The green bodymay not show the actual design, it could be wirewound or some other ceramic design. I notice on sites like Digikey.com that many of the 2W "green" body resistors are flame proof and many are water resistant. You are best to search those types of sites (Digikey, Mouser, etc.) for a suitable replacement. if you are sure that resistor is bad.
Only way to make sure about the resistor value is to lift one leg and then measure it.

Frank_SFL

Joined May 12, 2021
Hi,
Thank you for the responses!
The photo is actually one I had taken a while ago. Since then, it looks like the resistor heated up and the colors have actually changed due to the heat....and there is a dark mark (black) near one end of the resistor, so I am thinking it may have been affected.
I will definitely pull one leg on it and make sure it is OK.
Appreciate the response!
Thanks

BobaMosfet

Joined Jul 1, 2009
Hello Everyone,
I am very new to this site, but it looks great!
I have always enjoyed working with electronics as a hobby, but really need to learn more.
I am currently trying to determine what resistor I should use to replace the one in the photo.
It looks like a 300 ohm +- 5% 2W resistor. I am just not sure what type of resistor this is (carbon film, metal oxide, metal film, etc.).
Any ideas, suggestions, etc. It goes to a pool heater, and wanted to make sure that it is of the right type (flame retardant, etc.).
All help is appreciated!!
Thank you!!
Orange-Black-Brown + Gold = 300-Ohm @ 5%.

Color-Code Mnemonic: Bad Boys Rape Our Young Girls, but Violet Gives Willingly.... (Navy invented it, not I)

Or a thumbtack color wheel for resistors...
1620834933416.png

For further:

Title: Understanding Basic Electronics, 1st Ed.
Publisher: The American Radio Relay League
ISBN: 0-87259-398-3

You can obtain flame-proof. Get the same wattage. As others have stated- that resistor does NOT look bad.

Frank_SFL

Joined May 12, 2021
Hi,
A huge thank you to all!!
The original photo I uploaded was to show that the color codes were. This was before one of the header pins corroded off the board and caused the problem.
I have just added a picture from right now. Note that the color bands on the resistor are no longer the same color, and that there is a darkened area above the resistor on the board.
I haven't had a minute this morning to lift off one of the legs to test, but will do so sometime today.
Again, thank you to the great people on here for all the information you are providing.
I truly appreciate it.
BobaMosfet, thanks for the advice on the book, will definitely check it out!!

Attachments

dl324

Joined Mar 30, 2015
I have just added a picture from right now. Note that the color bands on the resistor are no longer the same color, and that there is a darkened area above the resistor on the board.
It definitely got warm, but doesn't look like it was damaged.

Brightened, rotated, cropped image:
resistor.jpg

Frank_SFL

Joined May 12, 2021
I am amazed how great the folks are on here.
I truly appreciate everyone taking their time to chime in.
I hope that I am able to contribute as much as you all have.

I will post as soon as I have tested the resistor out of circuit and let you know what I find.

I am grateful to have found this site.
Thank you all!!