resistor size confusion...

Draugr Rekkr

Joined Dec 22, 2015
I got some 1/2 watt resistors from a shop called jaycars here in New Zealand and then I wanted to get a lot more and since I'm a cheep student I didn't want to spent a whole lot of money at jaycars I jumped on eBay to get more 1/2 watts for cheaper as I'm sure plenty of people do but when I received them today I found that they were 2x bigger then the ones from jaycar so I checked the packaging on both the jaycar resistors and the eBay ones and tho only difference that I could find was that the jaycar ones were labelled 0.5w and the eBay ones were 1/2w... Correct me if I'm wrong but 0.5 and 1/2 is the same thing right? So why are the eBay resistors bigger? I'll post an image of them side by side too show you what I mean.

ErnieM

Joined Apr 24, 2011
Different manufacturers, different materials yield different size resistors. Power and resistance are just two of many parameters you can choose from.

Or, somebody picked em from the wrong stock bin.

Lestraveled

Joined May 19, 2014
The resistors on the right (1100 ohms) look like 1/4 watt resistors. The resistors on the left (220K) look like 1/2 watt resistors.

Draugr Rekkr

Joined Dec 22, 2015
Different manufacturers, different materials yield different size resistors. Power and resistance are just two of many parameters you can choose from.

Or, somebody picked em from the wrong stock bin.
Do you know any web sights that sell these smaller ones I can't seem to find them

Joined Nov 30, 2010
What is your goal? Do you need really tiny resistors? Are you just checking to see if these will work?
ps, please include in your pictures something to indicate actual size, like the end of a ruler or a tape measure. Your coins probably won't help unless you write what size they are in millimeters or inches.

Joined Nov 30, 2010
One of the problems is the manufacturers. Some make resistors smaller than you would expect because the RESISTOR will survive the heat, but the circuit board turns brown under it. Some of them are so awful that they un-solder themselves after a few years!

Draugr Rekkr

Joined Dec 22, 2015
What is your goal? Do you need really tiny resistors? Are you just checking to see if these will work?
ps, please include in your pictures something to indicate actual size, like the end of a ruler or a tape measure. Your coins probably won't help unless you write what size they are in millimeters or inches.
Hey I'm about as new to this as you can get so I'm sort of building a little tool kit of commonly needed parts. My main goal is to be able to build guitar effect peddles of different sizes and other electronic things that might come in handy down that road.
I'm not home at the moment so I can't get anything to show size but if I can remember off the top of my head they are a about 2mm wide and maybe 9mm long giver or take 1/2 a mm

dl324

Joined Mar 30, 2015
I have a couple of boxes of 1/4W resistors I picked up in some stock being liquidated by a company and thought it odd that they were the size of 1/8W resistors. Apparently this will be a new area for confusion...

Here's some RCD info on their standard size and small size resistors:
upload_2015-12-23_17-23-22.png
upload_2015-12-23_17-22-39.png

upload_2015-12-23_17-23-3.png

Draugr Rekkr

Joined Dec 22, 2015
I'm home and I've taken a photo of the 1/4 watt, "Supposed" 1/2 watt and the bigger 1/2 watt and I've taken a photo next to a ruler and it seems that the 1/4 and the small 1/4 are the same size but I did find the pack that the small 1/2 watt were in and it said it was "mini" could that be the reason it's so small?

Attachments

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
Manufacturer's generally don't much give a care for standards and consistency, unless customers vote with their wallets and buy from competitors that do. In this case, sadly, you are on your own. That is why a company will pay a component engineer to develop and enforce incoming inspection standards. Hobbyists are constantly surprised that what they often get fails to conform to their expectations. It goes with the territory. Deal with it!

Draugr Rekkr

Joined Dec 22, 2015
10 divisions per labeled number suggests centimeters. True?

In this case, "mini" seems like a worthless word. It might be a mini-pack or it might mean mini-resistors.:confused:

Please go find your, "Profile" page and enter a description of your location. Even knowing which country you are in helps us find parts for you.
Sorry I'm from Auckland, New Zealand and yes every number is a cm and every notch between is a mm