Resistor mystery

kerseblept

Joined Feb 28, 2023
Hi guys. I am trying to find out what type of resistor is that. My laptop charger shorted and I think this is the issue. The colours are red,red,silver,gold and black. Regards

Attachments

Ya’akov

Joined Jan 27, 2019
Why do you suspect that resistor? There is no appearance of trouble with it. Did you test it in any way?

What do you mean by “shorted”?

Ya’akov

Joined Jan 27, 2019
hi,
Processing the image, it appears to be burnt along one side.?
E
Thanks for pointing that out, Eric. I have to admit I missed it. It does in fact seem to have let out the magic smoke.

Given the application, that may well be a fusible resistor and the TS probably needs to account for that when replacing it.

DickCappels

Joined Aug 21, 2008
Resistors are usually the victims of failures elsewhere in that they rarely fail by themselves. They need to be replaced but you should have a look at other part of the circuit that might have affected the resistors.

ericgibbs

Joined Jan 29, 2010
hi,C,
These 3 marked ends [green arrows] look like the molten ends of three turns of the resistance wire [0.22R],
protruding from the resistor body.

The spacing of the wire stubs fit the apparent wire diameter.
E

20230228_085229.jpg

MrSalts

Joined Apr 2, 2020
The colours are red,red,silver,gold and black.
Although someone suggested this might be a fusible resistor, the color bands can assure you that it is NOT a fusible resistor. Although most resistors to not have a band beyond the tolerance, it is a growing trend to put a black band on a Wirewound resistor and (for a much greater time) white band is the extra band on fusible resistors. As you can see, the last color band is black which indicates a wire-would resistor which, as @ericgibbs points out, can be easily seen protruding from the burned area.