resister get burned

Status
Not open for further replies.

prakashkovaidt

Joined Feb 4, 2014
hai ,

i've 5v 1A power supply, which is not working. reason is resistor get burned.

its position is direct to AC line.
Circuit:-
~L___________Bridge rectifier(Input 1)

~N____________Resister(Burned)______Bridge Rectifier(Input 2)

i cant figure out resister value.fully burnt black

Please tell me any idea about choosing right resister.

I checked 10K and 1K resister . but dont know watt valve.

im totally newbie for electronics. and this 4M.

Thank you

blocco a spirale

Joined Jun 18, 2008
Do you think that the reason the resistor burnt out was, perhaps, due to a fault further down the line i.e. the problem is not a faulty resistor?
Incidentally, no one knows what value the resistor (if it was a resistor) should be or what it's for.

Since it is connected directly to the mains and putting the wrong device in could be dangerous; it is time for a new power supply.

Last edited:

prakashkovaidt

Joined Feb 4, 2014
Do you think that the reason the resistor burnt out was, perhaps, due to a fault further down the line i.e. the problem is not a faulty resistor?
Incidentally, no one knows what value the resistor (if it was a resistor) should be or what it's for.

Since it is connected directly to the mains and putting the wrong device in could be dangerous; it is time for a new power supply.

Thanks G.

I can see some burnt color code in resister.
now i got another idea. surely i dont know this is correct

the bridge rectifier have 2 AC inputs. may i connect direct AC to Bridge rectifier Input pin ,? is it right?

blocco a spirale

Joined Jun 18, 2008
Thanks G.

I can see some burnt color code in resister.
now i got another idea. surely i dont know this is correct

the bridge rectifier have 2 AC inputs. may i connect direct AC to Bridge rectifier Input pin ,? is it right?
No, it is not right.

The resistor/unknown device was there for a reason, possibly over-current protection, in which case it has responded to an over-current situation (caused by a fault elsewhere in the power supply) by burning itself rather than burning your house down.

Replace the power supply, there is nothing else to add.

Status
Not open for further replies.