Research in electrical machines

Status
Not open for further replies.

DickCappels

Joined Aug 21, 2008
A century or so ago (1899) the recommendation was made to close the patent office because everything that could be invented had been invented. Now, as it turns out, that was actually in a parody magazine (Punch), I guess it was sort of like Mad is today. But the same notion existed back them.
Not quite the same in my opinion.

Punch, being English was way to sophisticated for my sense of humor in my teens, but MAD has been funny into my golden years. I think my sense of humor plateaued somewhere between Thurber and Woody Allen.

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
Not quite the same in my opinion.

Punch, being English was way to sophisticated for my sense of humor in my teens, but MAD has been funny into my golden years. I think my sense of humor plateaued somewhere between Thurber and Woody Allen.
I'm definitely only guessing. I'm not into either and so my comparison was very much superficial. I don't know how to describe my sense of humor, but it definitely is NOT Woody Allen.

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
Natural language is not helpful in the creation of new things. Mathematics, schematics, block diagrams, are much more helpful in the innovation game.

BR-549

Joined Sep 22, 2013
The future is in structure. Small structure will drive it. This will make physics explain structure.
Hopefully this will convince the knuckleheads that the electric works at ALL scales just fine.
As a matter of fact, the electric is in complete control at small scales.
It will be nanotechnology that shows physics how far from reality it is.

On another note. I am assuming the TS is a young fellow. For some reason it seems, most young people fail to realize how this world has been changed recently. We haven't seen much yet, compared to what's coming. The use the the internet will become exponential. We are just playing with it now.

This will change our perception of education. The internet is the most valuable tool ever conceived.
This allows equality and opportunity to ALL as never, ever seen before.

Everyone has instant access to all knowledge and all experience of recorded time.

You older guys like me.......think back....what would your life have been if you would of had internet access when you got out of high school. I don't know about you, but I couldn't get info fast to make a plan or decision. It required time to get info and data and other peoples experiences with a particular problem. Not to mention long distance fees.

That problem is all gone. And you no longer need to pay or attend class for an education.

The time has never been better for everyone on the planet to pursue personal fulfillment.
No matter what status you start from.

What more could anyone ask for?

Joined Nov 30, 2010
You older guys like me.......think back....what would your life have been if you would of had internet access when you got out of high school.
I was sentenced to 12 years of public school simply because I was born to poor parents in U.S.A. I was asking questions my college educated teachers couldn't answer by the time I was 7 years old. It was very discouraging. I was completely disenchanted by the education system. I slept through school, scored well on the tests, and educated myself after hours. When I got to college I was stunned by the fact that the teachers were decades ahead of me and desperately trying to give me the information! If I had the Internet 60 years ago, my education would have been much easier.

I assume that there are people like me growing up today. Not the 90% in the middle of the Bell Curve, the ones who thirst for education. The Internet will make a lot of difference in their lives. Gratitude.

nsaspook

Joined Aug 27, 2009
Everyone has instant access to all knowledge and all experience of recorded time.

You older guys like me.......think back....what would your life have been if you would of had internet access when you got out of high school. I don't know about you, but I couldn't get info fast to make a plan or decision. It required time to get info and data and other peoples experiences with a particular problem. Not to mention long distance fees.
I would have loved it but it works both ways.
The Internet also lets a large number of people think they have knowledge and experience on a wide number of subjects without the background information to tell the valuable from the bull fertilizer.

Joined Nov 30, 2010
I would have loved it but it works both ways.
The Internet also lets a large number of people think they have knowledge and experience on a wide number of subjects without the background information to tell the valuable from the bull fertilizer.
I have met B.S. on the Internet, but the Internet was not invented until after my B.S. detector was up and running.
Caution to the noobs. The Internet contains worse ideas than funny cat videos. Keep your B.S. detector in working order.;)

nsaspook

Joined Aug 27, 2009
I have met B.S. on the Internet, but the Internet was not invented until after my B.S. detector was up and running.
Caution to the noobs. The Internet contains worse ideas than funny cat videos. Keep your B.S. detector in working order.;)
That should be a required course today for noobs. How to develop a fact based B.S. detector in the Internet age.

gobongear

Joined Jun 20, 2016
So if I'm an electrochemical machine with a magnetic personality and I click my mouse enough times then surely I can attain to the next electrical wonder machine.

If you're not careful elegance seems to creep in no matter what...

Thanks,
g

BR-549

Joined Sep 22, 2013
That's is true.
But isn't the same percentage true of a 4 year graduate?
A degree just gives a B.S.er authorization, not knowledge.
The meaning of the words, education, knowledge, and skill,... today, doesn't have the meaning it did 40 years ago.
The real change in these definitions will be 20 years from now.

The statements I make on this are just opinions and perceptions, not presented as arguable facts.

{note: indelicaat

Last edited by a moderator:

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
Is our thought limited by language, or is there more?

Are these new inventions, not yet invented, limited by anything?

Thanks,
g
The laws of physics, first and foremost, and then practical usefulness and economic feasibility, though the last two are more a limit on eventual success rather than existence.

BR-549

Joined Sep 22, 2013
I don't believe our thought is limited by language. Of course it will depend on your definition of language.

Many people can think in math terms. And I don't mean symbols and equations. I mean in ratios and proportional relationships, inversions, rotations and such.

Some people think visually, thru the mind's eye, sorta speak.

Some thru the mind's ear. Some thru the minds voice.

And some thru the mind's heart.

There are all kind's of human thought. Some, not so good.

gobongear

Joined Jun 20, 2016
Has anything ever been discovered with no knowledge of the laws of physics?

Has anything ever been discovered with no words to explain it?

Are we on the tip of the iceberg, underneath it, or somewhere in between?

Many times not knowing it can't be done is the key to the next step in discovery.

Thanks,
g

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
Has anything ever been discovered with no knowledge of the laws of physics?

Has anything ever been discovered with no words to explain it?

Are we on the tip of the iceberg, underneath it, or somewhere in between?

Many times not knowing it can't be done is the key to the next step in discovery.

Thanks,
g
Yes, many things have been discovered without knowledge of the laws of physics. But nothing has ever been discovered, knowledge or no knowledge, that violates those laws.

What's your point?

EM Fields

Joined Jun 8, 2016
I'm definitely only guessing. I'm not into either and so my comparison was very much superficial. I don't know how to describe my sense of humor, but it definitely is NOT Woody Allen.
Indeed, and off topic, but first about your sense of humor.

First, Allen's wit seems to be basically tongue-in-cheek and self-deprecative, to which everyone can relate, and chuckle to his revelation of truisms. You seems to be finding glee by posing as the final auditor and deprecating everyone and everything not in your camp.

Second, "Either" denotes one out of a base of two, yet you seem to be railing against a base of three:

To which two of Punch, Mad, or Allen are you referring?

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
Indeed, and off topic, but first about your sense of humor.

First, Allen's wit seems to be basically tongue-in-cheek and self-deprecative, to which everyone can relate, and chuckle to his revelation of truisms. You seems to be finding glee by posing as the final auditor and deprecating everyone and everything not in your camp.

Second, "Either" denotes one out of a base of two, yet you seem to be railing against a base of three:

To which two of Punch, Mad, or Allen are you referring?
I'm not going respond beyond noting that you are clearly just trolling me to make personal insults. I'm not the only one who has noticed.

Status
Not open for further replies.