Repurposing a washing machine motor, circuit help needed

Soldar

Joined Nov 13, 2020
First post here, I hope this is the right place for help like this;
I've pulled down an old washing machine with the idea to re-use as many components as possible to save them going to landfill.
The motor is my main catch, 1/2HP single phase, 2 speed with reverse. I'm going to use it on a lathe I've made.
I won't need the reverse function, but at this stage I don't know how to wire it to make it work, even with the reverse.
I'd like the 2 speeds though, I'm hoping to be able to use them on a 3-position switch (0-1-2)
Here is the wiring diagram from the motor. I have coloured the wires in for clarity. Anything in Purple (and those switch things) were inside the 'computer' which was a spring loaded, motor driven, cam cylinder with all the programs represented by bumps that close contacts as the cam spun around. Quite clever!
I can work out the green (earth), and the yellow comes from a 10A fuse.
Can anyone help which wires go where to make this operate in low and high speeds please?

Attachments

Soldar

Joined Nov 13, 2020
Thanks for your replies!
The washer is a Maytag, I don't have a model number.
I've attached some more relevant images, looks like I have reached an attachment limit.

If Strantor has it right I'll buy him/her a beer!

Silly question but I'm assuming the red (switched) goes to Active and yellow to Neutral?
I'm in Australia so it will be 240v wall power.
What is the purpose of the brown going through the capacitor and connecting to the yellow?
20201107_220706.jpg20201108_200826.jpg

Attachments

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
That is the start winding, a 1ph induction motor requires a phase shifted winding to start, this via the cap.
Not sure why it says cap export models only?
Max.

Soldar

Joined Nov 13, 2020
Quick question, how does one go about sending a private message to another AAC user please?
This beer isn't getting any colder...

bertus

Joined Apr 5, 2008
Hello,

You can not start a private message, as you do not have made enough posts (10).
The other users can start a private message with you.

Bertus

michael8

Joined Jan 11, 2015
That is the start winding, a 1ph induction motor requires a phase shifted winding to start, this via the cap.
Not sure why it says cap export models only?
Max.
Because it doesn't need a start capacitor on 60 Hz? The 90 phase shift for the start winding sounds good, however I'd guess
that it doesn't have to be exactly 90 degrees, just different enough from the power line. An RL circuit will phase shift too
and the start winding might be a bit higher resistance than the run winding (it's only temporary duty).

michael8

Joined Jan 11, 2015
That doesn't seem to make sense?
No logical reason!
Max
Why doesn't it make sense? A single winding with a single phase has no rotary force and can't start. Any rotary force which
is enough to get it started will start it -- it doesn't have to be 90 degrees. The start winding is only temporary duty so it
can be wound with thinner wire (cost and space savings) with higher resistance. This tends to make it's phase different
than the run winding. The start winding is also positioned differently (rotated) from the run winding. So the rotator
sees the run winding field peak at one position and later the start winding field raises while the run declines giving
a rotary change in the direction of field the rotator sees...

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
I repeat post #15!
How can it need a start cap for 50Hz but not for 60Hz?
A 1ph AC induction motor requires some kind of shifting the initial 180° commutation angle.

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
I would consider the amount of shift is not going to be reliable enough to enable an efficient start, especially if a load is involved.!
It is far from the ideal of 90°