Repurpose copter RC for RC car.

BrendanEyers

Joined Feb 3, 2018
G'day all. Ive scrapped an RC copter to build an RC car as its what i had and im too inexperienced and cheap to do it another way currently. The build was successful however the car cant accelerate too fast or the motors cut out. It appears the safety mechanism that shuts power to the motors when the old chopper blades would hit something or someone is causing the problem. I think its the microprocessor or hopefully just a different component of the board I can remove. Any help would be great. Pic of the board attached. Cheers!

Attachments

MrChips

Joined Oct 2, 2009
Hello "Newbie has a problem".

We all have problems. A better title for your thread could be:

Repurpose copter RC for RC car.

Alec_t

Joined Sep 17, 2013
Copter motors run fast; car wheels run relatively slowly. What reduction gearing is there on the motors in the car? If none, then the motors are virtually stalled most of the time and draw a lot of current, so the driver circuit will probably shut down to protect itself.

BrendanEyers

Joined Feb 3, 2018
Copter motors run fast; car wheels run relatively slowly. What reduction gearing is there on the motors in the car? If none, then the motors are virtually stalled most of the time and draw a lot of current, so the driver circuit will probably shut down to protect itself.
Using the gears from the copter which are 100/10 or 10:1. Thanks for your response Alec.

Alec_t

Joined Sep 17, 2013
You may need a greater reduction ratio than that. Assuming the motor runs at 10,000rpm, 10:1 would bring that down to 1,000rpm, which still seems fast for an RC car?