republicans have majority in house of representatives

strantor

Joined Oct 3, 2010
In many states both the Democrats and the Republicans pick candidate electors; the vote for President decides which parties electors are sent to vote in the electoral collage.

Note: The third parties must also pick candidate electors in those states if they are running a candidate in the Presidential race.

Tim S.
Sorry about my last reply, your post makes perfect sense to me now. I don't know why I had such an extreme mental block to this simple concept.

JoeJester

Joined Apr 26, 2005
Strantor,

Your not a troll. How we do the elections in this country is "odd". But that's the way it was designed. Those states who changed their laws so their electors can be split or given to the national popular vote will be asking some great questions when their state "elects" someone who doesn't have the popular vote in their state, yet the electors of the "other candidate" get sent to the electorial college. They will feel like they wasted their time and vote.

Zazoo

Joined Jul 27, 2011
Wyoming has 3 electorial votes. California has in the 50s. Last time I checked, California has the most electorial votes ... which is why politicians always visit CA.
I didn't say that Wyoming held the most power in presidential elections - I said that it was the most powerful voting state per capita. An important difference.

California, as a state, has over 18 times the voting power of Wyoming (55 electoral votes vs 3), which is why candidates focus on winning the state.

However, California also has over 65 times the population Wyoming - which means that voters in California have 1/4th the voice of voters in Wyoming when it comes to determining which candidate their state's electoral votes will go to.

(all else being equal, since voter turnout and other factors can influence these numbers)

ErnieM

Joined Apr 24, 2011
@strantor: I apologize if I offended you. It's an honest mistake to miss a post, and I was the one overreacting. (I've been taking some heat from my long time friends over on Facebook for not drinking the koolaid and let some of that spill over here.)

If you check the constitution it is left entirely up to each state how they select electors. I believe a few states originally voted on it in the state legislature and had no popular (common voter) polling whatsoever.

Last edited: