Replace speaker of alarm clock with dc motor

sadiq3210

Joined Jun 14, 2013
hi.
I want to replace speaker of table alarm clock with dc motor for some reason.
It uses 1.5 volts AA battery.
I cut the speaker wires, multi-meter show the dc voltage that goes up to 0.8 while fluctuating.

when i connected two terminals to dc motor, it do not run.
What to do ?

crutschow

Joined Mar 14, 2008
Well, 1.2 ohms requires a startup current of over an amp from a 1.5V source which likely can't be provided by the speaker output amp.

Does the motor run if connected directly to a 1.5v battery?
If not how much voltage does it take to run as you want?

Johann

Joined Nov 27, 2006
You cannot run a dc motor directly from the speaker wires since the signal resembles AC at some frequency. This needs to be integrated and used to activate, for example, a relay which in turn can connect a separate DC supply to the motor in question.

sadiq3210

Joined Jun 14, 2013
Crutschow.
The motor runs when directly connected to 1.5 V battery.

But i can feel that it runs slow as compared to when it is in original device in which the battery voltage is higher.

But thats enought for me if it runs slow

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
Use a small sensitive AC relay in place of the speaker and a latch contact that can be unlatched by P.B. , the typical cycle start circuit, this way you can switch any voltage you like and a suitable DC level for the motor in question.
Or a small DC relay fed with a small bridge off the spkr output.
Max.

Last edited:

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
Did you want to run the motor continuously because the speaker signal varies in frequency and amplitude, what about dead air or pauses, there will be zero output, I would have thought that the latching relay or similar would be optimum otherwise the results will vary with signal?
You could amplify it, but the same situation will occur at zero modulation.
What does the motor do?
Max.

sadiq3210

Joined Jun 14, 2013
If not dc then, Is there any AC motor that can run with or without amplification?

If not, then, other than amplifying with transistor, what are other options?

ISB123

Joined May 21, 2014
I'm pretty sure that generated alarm wave never drop's below 0V so you basically have half wave AC which means motor will only make half of turn.

crutschow

Joined Mar 14, 2008
Can you measure the DC and AC voltage coming from the speaker wires? Does this go to zero when the alarm is off?
Is this alarm a tone or from a radio?
If you can use a separate battery then you can likely use a transistor amp to turn on the motor.

Johann

Joined Nov 27, 2006
Just use a sensitive relay and latch it on as was suggested, then use the external battery to power the dc motor via the n.o. contact of the relay. Also a N.C. push button to interrupt the current through the latching circuit. Finish!