Repairing a circuit board on a tv

scozzman

Joined Jul 16, 2019
Hi all,

Im a first time poster but have been a long time reader of this very helpful forum.

I thought I would try my first repair of a broken smart tv given to me.

After a bit of disassembly and testing, I found a circuit board with a slight burn on it. - I have included a picture below..

Befor I start getting deeper into the tv, Im just wondering if these circuit boards can be repaired?

Any help is much appreciated.

Thank you
20190716_130721.jpg

AlbertHall

Joined Jun 4, 2014
It is certainly possible to repair such boards but that is not to say that it is easy.

Can you take a close-up picture of the burn mark.
Is there any component at that place on the other side of the board?

scozzman

Joined Jul 16, 2019
It is certainly possible to repair such boards but that is not to say that it is easy.

Can you take a close-up picture of the burn mark.
Is there any component at that place on the other side of the board?

Hi,
Thanks for the reply. There is nothing on the other side.
Ill try a close up pic now,

Thanks

AlbertHall

Joined Jun 4, 2014
I can't see anything more in that picture.
It looks unusal for a burn mark. It is not centered on a particular component.
Does it smell burnt?

SLK001

Joined Nov 29, 2011
When someone says, "take a close up picture... ", he means take a HIGH RESOLUTION picture and ATTACH it to your post so that others can actually see what you are talking about. Your board seems to be a TCON from a 4K set. What set? And yes, they can be repaired - by someone experienced and with a schematic diagram (which you CANNOT usually obtain). Your best bet would be to just obtain a replacement TCON from vendors such as SHOPJIMMY and just replace it. Bare in mind that a TCON can fail due to other components, such as the main panel itself. If the panel is dead, basically your TV is toast.

slackguy

Joined Feb 11, 2016
it looks like a good picture of a bad burn-out to me.

why not get another TV "for parts" off ebay and take the board out of it? (i'm guessing that's a least cost route to get the part)

the problem is the board may be multi-layered - making repair near impossible (for anyone asking if it is possible). even if it's a 1layer board (with modern LED tv i bet that's wrong), you need special soldering tools. those solder seats are very small and you have to protect and solder only on the solder seats or the board is damaged. the seat (on the capacitor) may already be damaged.

worse: if it blew one thing it may have blown other things. that's no simple board you need a COMPLETE schematic (on that shows test points all along the board). you need ground charts to show you which ground is the right ground when testing.

tv repair can be dangerous - if it's a CRT and you haven't read all the safety articles - please throw it away

hope that helps

scozzman

Joined Jul 16, 2019
Thanks for the replies.
I found a new circuit board online.

How do I remove the four wire strips attached to the board.

Cheers

MrChips

Joined Oct 2, 2009
The connector locks the ribbon cable in place.
The top bar of the connector either rotates, lifts up, or slides away towards the cable to unlock.