Repair Heat Embosser heating elements

handandsew

Joined Nov 29, 2019
Hello,
I am looking for help regarding a heating element change I'm trying to make with my heat embosser.
I've taken some photos to help illustrate.

I have 2 sets of wires (white braided) (the heating electrodes similar to this)
and a CH102 digital controller.

I know one of the sets of wires gets twisted with the power and inserted into a slot, and the other set of wires is put somewhere else.
I'm just not exactly sure where it all goes.
I know this may be a very simple problem, but any help would be greatly appreciated. I tried to get a wiring diagram from the manufacturer but they haven't been responsive.
As it's currently setup its not heating.IMG_7388.jpgIMG_7387.jpg

drc_567

Joined Dec 29, 2008
Is there a way to identify the wires, besides the heater wires?
... Careful with the AC power wires, be sure that they are disconnected from the mains bus/plug.

handandsew

Joined Nov 29, 2019
Is there a way to identify the wires, besides the heater wires?
... Careful with the AC power wires, be sure that they are disconnected from the mains bus/plug.
Yes! The Red is the live AC, it runs through a fuse.
Blue is the neutral.
The far side (small braided) is a temp probe, which is working as intended.

drc_567

Joined Dec 29, 2008
... Was this assembly working previously, as described here?
That is, there are no additional pieces or parts to be considered?
Apparently, there are one or two controller options to be considered, so it is best to be try to get all the details.

drc_567

Joined Dec 29, 2008
red to #1
blue to #2
heater a to #5
heater b to #6
... where a and b are the wire pair from each heater element
one end of rtd to #10 and the other to #12
... Thermocouple to #11 and #12

...terminals #1 to #6 are the lower row in picture above ... #1 at the top.
... terminals #7 to #12 are the upper row ... #7 at the top.

One problem left to figure out. The first picture above shows a short red jumper going from #1 to #5. This configuration might be used if a relay was used. .. Can't quite make sense of it.

drc_567

Joined Dec 29, 2008
... going over the pdf instructions, it says that a delay relay can be connected, which may be why the short red power jumper was connected to #4 at some previous time.
... So just try the connections that are suggested above.

If there seems to be a problem, disconnect the short red jumper from #4 .... tape the end with electrical tape so that it can't touch anything or anybody by accident.
... Suggest that you go ahead and disconnect the red jumper from #4 before you try to power it up the first time. Just a guess, but that may be the safe approach to try the first time. Electrical tape applied to the loose end of the red jumper will avoid any accidents.
Be careful when working with AC power. Just pull the plug if anything needs attention.

Last edited: