Removing Intelligence from the car battery charger

SailCS33

Joined Mar 18, 2021
I have a car battery charger that I would like turn into a "basic" (aka non-intelligent) battery charger. Specifically, I don't want to have any charging profile or otherwise any charge curves, etc. At its max, it outputs 15A and that is exactly what I would like it do without trying to decide when to shut off.

It appears to be using 7FLIT15BF1B6 EEPROM and a 74HC595 Shift Register. Perhaps someone could suggest what can be done to achieve this.

20210328_154457.jpg

Attachments

SailCS33

Joined Mar 18, 2021
I was able to figure out my own question. To make this car battery charger "basic" you'd have to disconnect 5 wire connector on J2. Next you have to bridge/solder together the contacts of what used to be Yellow and Red wires. This will latch the relay and keep it latched.

Open circuit voltage is around 17v and when charging it drops down to 13.5 @ 15-16Amps

Hope this helps to someone with similar project.

shortbus

Joined Sep 30, 2009
Hope this helps to someone with similar project.
I personally dislike the smart chargers. To get around them to charge a dead battery I've always jump started the car let it run for a few minutes and then use the smart charger to finish the charging. Will have to tear mine apart to see if it can be done like yours. Thank you.