Remote controlled dimmer creates buzzing sound

PepijnHam

Joined Apr 5, 2024
Hi all,

First off: Im a noob when it comes to electronics, but super happy to learn! If this is the wrong place on the forum to post, my apologies, and I will move it!)

So I want to use a cheap remote controlled dimmer from Aliexpress: this one to control a roofvent for in my campervan (this one to be specific). It works fine, expect for the fact that the van gives a horrible buzzing noise. I googled around and this is apparently because the dimmer is low-frequency.

Does anybody know a (relatively) easy fix for this problem? Some guy at an electronics shop said I should just put an condensator in between the positive line going to the vent, but I don't see how that's gonna work suddenly, plus I have now idea which condensator I should use.

If the fix is "get a better dimmer" then I would definitely do that, does anybody have a recommendation for which one I should buy :)?

KeithWalker

Joined Jul 10, 2017
I was not able to open your links to the AliExpress items. What mechanism is used to open the vent? is is a brushed DC or AC motor , a solenoid or something else?

PepijnHam

Joined Apr 5, 2024
I was not able to open your links to the AliExpress items. What mechanism is used to open the vent? is is a brushed DC or AC motor , a solenoid or something else?

Thank you, I will edit the link. Its this one, its a 12V DC van pulling 0.5A :)
To clearify: Its to power the van, not to open or close it!

PepijnHam

Joined Apr 5, 2024
Thank you for your help, this one is unfortanly not with a remote. Im gonna keep looking for one with a remote, else Ill have to use this one I'm afraid!

MisterBill2

Joined Jan 23, 2018
A dimmer is not a motor speed controller.. And what works for a 12 volt DC bulb may not work at all with a motor. Are you able to set the fan control to maximum? and does that buzz?

PepijnHam

Joined Apr 5, 2024
A dimmer is not a motor speed controller.. And what works for a 12 volt DC bulb may not work at all with a motor. Are you able to set the fan control to maximum? and does that buzz?
Yes it still made the sound at the highest speed. I now orderded this one: https://nl.aliexpress.com/item/1005006048618385.html? not really wanted one with a display but I guess its fine. Thanks a lot for everyones help! I will let you all know when it has been delivered and if it works :)