Relays energized by timer 555

voldeparso

Joined Apr 10, 2016
Hello, I'm pretty new in electronic field, but I have a question.
So I have this circuit that should activate two relays, with one clap. I made a circuit build around a 555 timer, in monostable mode, and when I clap in front of the microphone it gives me at the output a signal that have a duration of 6 sec, exactly what I need.
With that signal I want to activate two relays. With first clap relay number 1 should be activated for 6 second and then to deactivate, then with the next clap relay number 2 should be activated for 6 second and then goes back to normal. And so on 1 clap= relay number 1 (6 seconds), next clap=relay number 2 (6 second).

Can you please help me with an ideea?

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
Can you share your schematic? It may be easier to modify what you have than to start at zero.

I'm not sure I understand your sequence. Do you want it to repeat forever, waiting for a clap and then alternately activating the relays for 6 sec each? What if a clap comes 3 seconds later?

voldeparso

Joined Apr 10, 2016
Hello and thank you for your reply.

Here's my schematic.

555 output signal look like this

As you can see I have one relay connected to the output, I was wondering if its posible to have 2 relays connected at 555 output and the sequence to be, first clap, energize relay number 1 for 6 second, and then de-energized, and then whenever I clap for the second time, relay number 2 to be energized for 6 second and then de-energized and then cycle repeat.

Attachments

Dodgydave

Joined Jun 22, 2012
Feed the output of the clap transistor into a Cd4013 and use two 555 timers with their relay. So first clap relay one comes on, times out,,,,second clap relay two comes on times out.

Alec_t

Joined Sep 17, 2013
You could use the pin 3 output of the 555 to clock a toggle circuit. The Q and notQ outputs of the toggle would turn on either of two transistors acting as low-side switches for two relays. Pin 3 would also go to the high side of both relays.

voldeparso

Joined Apr 10, 2016
Feed the output of the clap transistor into a Cd4013 and use two 555 timers with their relay. So first clap relay one comes on, times out,,,,second clap relay two comes on times out.
Thank you for your response,
I never used a CD4013, but I made a sketch, with your idea circuit should look like this?

Attachments

Dodgydave

Joined Jun 22, 2012
Yes, but you need a pull up resistor and series capacitor on pin 2 of the 555 timer,.like this trigger circuit, otherwise pin 2 will be held low continously and won't time out.

Last edited: