Relay timer to turn on a small motor

Jbibo

Joined Dec 2, 2018
I need help with a relay timer. I need a timer when 110 v are applied, a motor will run for between 30s to 90s. It needs to be variable time until calibrated. When the time period is up the motor stops. When the input power is turned off the timer resets and the cycle is repeated when power reapplied. I got an h3y-2 source110vac 250vac resistive .1 - 3 minute omouron timer from China. I can't get it to work. I have input power to terminals 13 and 14. I can't get the the required 110 v out from any of the other terminals. Could it be defective or do I have a wrong timer.

ElectricSpidey

Joined Dec 2, 2017
You won’t get any voltage from the terminals because that relay only controls a DPDT switch (relay) you must use it to control a voltage that you supply.

AlbertHall

Joined Jun 4, 2014
I have input power to terminals 13 and 14. I can't get the the required 110 v out from any of the other terminals.
You have the power connected correctly. You need to connect one of the mormally closed contacts ( 9 and 1, or 12 and 4) between the line power and your switched load.
upload_2018-12-2_22-37-47.png

MisterBill2

Joined Jan 23, 2018
Posts 3 and 4 are both totally correct. Timres have power terminals to run the timer and then also relay terminals that switch relative to the time interval, as presented both in posts 2 and 4. So you need to study enough basic circuit theory to unsedtand what contacts do in a switching device. \
AND, based on the question, please be very careful and do not get connected to any of the wiring that is associated with mains power 120 volts. It can be deadly if you become connected.

Jbibo

Joined Dec 2, 2018
You have the power connected correctly. You need to connect one of the mormally closed contacts ( 9 and 1, or 12 and 4) between the line power and your switched load.
View attachment 164906
I attached a jumper from 1to 9 also another one from 12 to 4. I still don't have 110 v on 1 and 4 to run the motor.

MisterBill2

Joined Jan 23, 2018
I attached a jumper from 1to 9 also another one from 12 to 4. I still don't have 110 v on 1 and 4 to run the motor.
You have the connections wrong. Power needs to be supplied to terminals 9 and 12, , and then the power will be supplied to terminals #1 and #4 to run the motor. until the time limit is achieved. This means that you connect L1 to terminals #12 and #13, and then L2 to terminals #9 and #14, with the motor connected between terminals #1 and #4. I hope that the motor does not require much power because the contacts in the timer can not carry a lot of power.

AND, I am very serious about this part: You need to learn to understand basic electrical circuits and symbols a whole lot better than you presently understand them. Otherwise you will certainly have a lot of problems with electrical connections and power. AC mains power is not safe for the unknowing experimenter to play around with.

Jbibo

Joined Dec 2, 2018
You have the connections wrong. Power needs to be supplied to terminals 9 and 12, , and then the power will be supplied to terminals #1 and #4 to run the motor. until the time limit is achieved. This means that you connect L1 to terminals #12 and #13, and then L2 to terminals #9 and #14, with the motor connected between terminals #1 and #4. I hope that the motor does not require much power because the contacts in the timer can not carry a lot of power.

AND, I am very serious about this part: You need to learn to understand basic electrical circuits and symbols a whole lot better than you presently understand them. Otherwise you will certainly have a lot of problems with electrical connections and power. AC mains power is not safe for the unknowing experimenter to play around with.

Thanks Misterbill2 It worked. Below is the base with terminals. Power goes to terminal 14 with a line to 12 and power to 13 with a line to 9. Terminals 1 and 4 have 110 v during the timing. The motor is small.
Screenshot_20181202-200836.png

MisterBill2

Joined Jan 23, 2018
I am happy that it worked for you, and I am puzzled as to why my post appears 3 times, that was not my intention, to repeat myself. Evidently there is still a lot I don't know about this forum site.