Relay substitute

Ian Gilchrist

Joined Sep 11, 2016
I have a circuit which needs to be normally closed(NC) bit I want to momentarily interrupt that circuit for about 500mS. it's a 12volt circuit with typically about 20amps running thought it.

Planning to use a SPDT relay and just wire my circuit into the Normally closed path of that relay.. then when I need to interrupt power I'll energize the coil which will pull the relay Cct open and then upon remove power from the coil the relay will go back to closed. Perfect. I'm looking for a way to do this without a big heavy duty relay..is there some kind of FET or something which has a normally closed circuit path (short circuit)..?

Ian Gilchrist

Joined Sep 11, 2016
Simple load. Think old style 12v driving/spot light...10-20amps.

I've not done much with MOSFETs....a little..but not much. Which device would you recommend and what is the normally short circuit path?

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
You may find it easier to use a through-hole device, and strip board etc.
You can also do it the conventional way using a NC switch.
Digikey are a good source.

I have a circuit which needs to be normally closed(NC) bit I want to momentarily interrupt that circuit for about 500mS. it's a 12volt circuit with typically about 20amps running thought it.

Planning to use a SPDT relay and just wire my circuit into the Normally closed path of that relay.. then when I need to interrupt power I'll energize the coil which will pull the relay Cct open and then upon remove power from the coil the relay will go back to closed. Perfect. I'm looking for a way to do this without a big heavy duty relay..is there some kind of FET or something which has a normally closed circuit path (short circuit)..?
================================================================
You can go the simple route and use a Solid State Relay (SSR). Wire it so it's always on (NC) and turn it off when you need. Easily controlled with a low voltage DC pulse. Depending upon duty cycle you may not need much of a heat sync. Make sure the "On Resistance" is acceptable for your circuit.
https://www.amazon.com/SSR-100DD-Solid-State-Relay-Module/dp/B07PFDJQLV/