relay (or module) for controlling a 7A inductive load...

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
Surprises me, even for a basic model CNC, looking at the site, it looks reputable, But to not be able to control a gantry spindle with the G-code software is missing one of the most basic features?
Is this a re-marketed Chinese unit, sold by a N.A. Co?
But even the cheapest of Chinese M/C's include this most basic of features.
Have you replaced the original spindle, by any chance?
Otherwise, it looks like a not to bad M/C.

Ed

Joined Sep 1, 2021
Honestly, I haven't dug much into Inventables (the company that I bought the kit from). Since this is my first (and still only) CNC machine, I can't really comment on comparing it to other machines. I can say that I've had mine since 2016 and I've cut several hundred (possibly over 1000 at this point) small (less than a square foot) projects without any failures (aside from those that were my own pilot error). Plus, I'm still running with all the original parts (not to include bits of course).

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
Do you have the manuals on the machine?
Do you program in G code?
Never heard of a M/C where the spindle is outboard of the CNC system?

Ed

Joined Sep 1, 2021
I probably had build instructions when I bought the kit. It took a few days to assemble and get up and running; but since then I've just relied on the forum. The Easel software can either download the G-Code or connect directly (USB) to the machine and drive it. Until recently I had a direct-connect from a PC (running Easel) to the machine (both were in my basement). I've since moved and my Easel PC is not local to the machine, so I download the G-Codes then drive the machine with a Raspberry Pi. Bottom line... it does use G-Codes. UPDATE: The controller is running GRBL firmware.
As I said earlier, I can't say much regarding what is the "norm" for these machines. I am not a machine shop or in business with this (at least not yet), it's just a hobby that allows me to make unique gifts for friends and family. Plus I just enjoy machines and woodworking.

Last edited:

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
G code is written by the end user for each part processed, not the machine operating S/W.
If you are using any CAM program to write the part Pgm then you may not obtain familiarity with basic G-code programming.
If this was a kit, there is bound to be an output allocated for the spindle.
I assume the machine S/W is PC based?
Do they declare any form of S/W that they use for the operator front end and control?
Is there a forum specifically for this model machine?

Last edited:

Ed

Joined Sep 1, 2021
Right... I understand that. Easel can do both the front end UI and the backend that drives the GRBL-based machine controller. It also has a few hooks to adjust the position of the spindle, etc... Its web based, so while I use it on my PC, I'm guessing it also runs on Linux. As I said above, it also gives the option to download the created g-code file, and that's what I now send to my Rasp-Pi. The Pi is connected (USB) to the motor controller running GRBL firmware. I've been doing this for quite a while now and things work well. Forum is here, but I haven't used it in quite some time.

Last edited: