Relay chatter/sparking

Macknumber9

Joined Jun 10, 2023
Here's a test you can try. Connect a 1K resistor to 12 volts and the other side to the base of the transistor associated with the relay coil and see if the relay activates normally if it does then check the voltage on the collector also.
Use jumpers or hardwire in if necessary.
View attachment 296217
Do you know roughly the voltage I should see with that set up?

Macknumber9

Joined Jun 10, 2023
If it works less than 1 volt on the collector, .6 to .7 volt on the base.
Thanks so much...going to try this...what about the already .5v that I'm getting at the base with it running....I'm going to do this while it's running....is that going to be too much voltage with me adding the .7v?

Macknumber9

Joined Jun 10, 2023
While it is running and the already .5 volts on the base will be fine. Just try not to short out anything.
Does the .5v seem low to you? I thought I should get .7v on an npn silicon transistor....maybe mine is Germanic I don't know how to tell

It's gonna be next to impossible to get readings while doing this test though

Macknumber9

Joined Jun 10, 2023
Can't you use jumpers to connect the resistor?
Don't know but can you do this:
View attachment 296222
Well I'm not worried about connecting the 1k resistor...I'm worried about touching to the base of transistor...I need that to be alligator clipped so I can grab my multimer and probe the voltage readings that I am getting on the collector and elsewhere that you told me to get

Macknumber9

Joined Jun 10, 2023
Yes .5V seems low but it's not a germanium transistor.
Can you hardwire the resistor in?
Yeah so .5v is definitely my issue like I thought...maybe this test can tell me something....or maybe I just need to desolder the damn transistor already and actually run tests with it off board....I heard the tests don't work with the transistors unless they are desoldered and isolated off the board...this sound right to you?

sghioto

Joined Dec 31, 2017
That's normally true. Can you see which resistor is connected to the base of said transistor?
Reading voltage on the base resistor is another way of testing.

Last edited:

Macknumber9

Joined Jun 10, 2023
Read both ends of the resistor please.
What's the number of the transistor on the pcb? Q6, Q7?
Ok thank you so much for your help...I will have to wait until Tuesday or Wednesday to do these tests but I can't wait to see what results I get....

Q6 is the transistor driving the relay in question

Macknumber9

Joined Jun 10, 2023
I final note, I believe the circuit I'm posting is correct for the relay circuit.
View attachment 296226
Looks good to me...what's strange is the transistor's base is not in the middle....I always thought that the base must be in the middle so the collector and emitter are separated from each other....don't know why my trabsistor is set up with collector in middle...