Refresh my memory on memory

shteii01

Joined Feb 19, 2010
Oh whats your current computer hardware ??
The current stuff is intel 4th generation iX cpu like i5 4xxx, ddr3 ram but ddr4 ram is out now too and will likely replace ddr3, nvidia 9xx video chips.

I still run my core 2 due, and i will resurrect my core 2 quad. They run just fine, their instruction sets still what everyone is using. For example there is a game I play that Requires SSE2 instruction set, so my P3 can not run that game. So the cutoff for me is P4 or later cpu. Core 2 cpu are the best of that lot, maybe I am a snob, but I don't bother with anything P4, PD, Pentium Dual Core.

Dr.killjoy

Joined Apr 28, 2013
lol I ran a cheap p4 mb with a 3.06ghz p4 chip ,oc to 3.8ghz and ran a couple times at 4.1ghz & 4.2ghz but I could get a solid value cause the mb max out at 3.8ghz..
Personal I am a AMD fan boy and right now I am using a FX-8350 8-core cpu but would love to get my hands on a intel 2500K or 2600K cpu..

Dr.killjoy

Joined Apr 28, 2013
The current stuff is intel 4th generation iX cpu like i5 4xxx, ddr3 ram but ddr4 ram is out now too and will likely replace ddr3, nvidia 9xx video chips.

I still run my core 2 due, and i will resurrect my core 2 quad. They run just fine, their instruction sets still what everyone is using. For example there is a game I play that Requires SSE2 instruction set, so my P3 can not run that game. So the cutoff for me is P4 or later cpu. Core 2 cpu are the best of that lot, maybe I am a snob, but I don't bother with anything P4, PD, Pentium Dual Core.
My laptop was a single core cpu and was upgraded to intel T4500 cpu and I could have went bigger but I wasn't sure the mb would handle it ..

shteii01

Joined Feb 19, 2010
lol I ran a cheap p4 mb with a 3.06ghz p4 chip ,oc to 3.8ghz and ran a couple times at 4.1ghz & 4.2ghz but I could get a solid value cause the mb max out at 3.8ghz..
Personal I am a AMD fan boy and right now I am using a FX-8350 8-core cpu but would love to get my hands on a intel 2500K or 2600K cpu..
Last I checked ebay the 2500 or 2500k was 140 usd, just the cpu, nothing else. Considering I can get refurbished complete pc with core 2 quad for just a little more... well, it will be a few more years before I build a system with 2500k.

Dr.killjoy

Joined Apr 28, 2013
Last I checked ebay the 2500 or 2500k was 140 usd, just the cpu, nothing else. Considering I can get refurbished complete pc with core 2 quad for just a little more... well, it will be a few more years before I build a system with 2500k.
The reason behind using that chip is because it's one of intel's best cpu ever made..The chip is a pure beast and can handle one hell of a overclock and voltage bump to make a monster cpu..

shteii01

Joined Feb 19, 2010
Nice ..
Might want to upgrade memory to 6gb or more cause with win7 4gb is really the min need to run..Also the software will not bog down as much with more memory .
Yeah, interesting choice on the ram. I am guessing that Spin has some ddr2 ram already. I did that for my parent's pc, it had two modules of ram already so it had two more ram slots empty, I just added two more ram modules that I had laying around.

I am not sure how feel about refurbished ssd. I noticed on newegg that you can get new 120 gig ssd from mushkin for 40 usd. Neither mushkin nor corsair make memory chips that go into ssd so I am not sure what is better, used ssd from brand name like corsair or brand new ssd from second/third tier brand name like mushkin.

spinnaker

Joined Oct 29, 2009
But they claim that memory is for AMD and not Intel. Is there a difference? Why is Intel memory so freaking expensive?

shteii01

Joined Feb 19, 2010
The pc you linked already has 4 gig of ram. I am guessing that you will have 2 sticks 2 gig each, 2x 2 gig, for the total of 4 gig that they list on the website. You could just get a 8 git kit, 2x 4 gig, add it to your pc and you will have total of 12 gig. This way you don't just throw away your 4 gig that comes with pc, you already paid for it...

Or. Like you noted, buy some on ebay, you will likely get used modules, but if they are cheap enough and they work, then I would not care that they are used.

Last edited:

spinnaker

Joined Oct 29, 2009
The pc you linked already has 4 gig of ram. I am guessing that you will have 2 sticks 2 gig each, 2x 2 gig, for the total of 4 gig that they list on the website. You could just get a 8 git kit, 2x 4 gig, add it to your pc and you will have total of 12 gig. This way you don't just throw away your 4 gig that comes with pc, you already paid for it...

Or. Like you noted, buy some on ebay, you will likely get used modules, but if they are cheap enough and they work, then I would not care that they are used.
Kind of why I wanted to wait to see what I have. Didn't want to buy something I don't need.

Did not know you can mix and match. Thanks.

shteii01

Joined Feb 19, 2010
Kind of why I wanted to wait to see what I have. Didn't want to buy something I don't need.

Yes, you can mix and match, what will happen is that all the ram modules will work at the rate of the slowest one.

Found this on ebay: http://www.ebay.com/itm/DDR2-16GB-4...971233?hash=item35ec3212a1:g:U7UAAOSwT6pVgTfw
Notice the hilarious and sad part, the ram cost twice as much as your pc...

I seriously think you should cancel your pc order and buy one that uses DDR3 ram. If you can.
Or like me you may have some ddr2 laying around or know someone who has, if you can get it for free or next to free, then by all means, get it and use it.

Edit.
I just checked by pc using CPU-z, I got 3 different brands of ram in this machine, Elpida, Hyundai, Samsung. Everything is running fine.

Last edited:

Dr.killjoy

Joined Apr 28, 2013

With memory your not suppose to mix and match.. If you have 4 dimm slots then you use the 1st and 3rd slot for 2 sticks of ram , otherwise use all 4 slot with same memory.

BReeves

Joined Nov 24, 2012
I went with this

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=83-282-370

I figure I can wait and see how it goes and upgrade memory later.
I have two of those HP 7900 computers on my network, have been very reliable and fast enough to satisfy most needs. Both have dual video cards with two HP W2371 monitors and 8 Gig of RAM. I run AutoCAD, PhotoShop, a couple software development packages and a bunch of other stuff without issues or feeling I need anything faster. Even if you end up spending another $100 plus bucks on RAM you are still way ahead of the bang for the buck game.