Refresh my memory on memory

spinnaker

Joined Oct 29, 2009
My current PC is having issues and I am looking to replace it. I don't need anything super fast as all I use the PC for is browsing, email, PCB design, programming etc. It has been at least 6 years since I built my last PC so my memory is a bit fuzzy,

I was looking at this

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813138415

for an affordable system board.

It says DDR3 2600(OC)/ 2400(OC)/ 2 memory.

The website recommends this:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820104504
Which is a DDR3 1600. As long as it is DDR3 it will work? Just that the 1600 is slower?

When you buy memory, do they come in pairs or a single stick?

paulktreg

Joined Jun 2, 2008
The DDR3 1600 will work fine. The motherboard supports dual channel memory so 2x4GB is a better option than a single 8GB stick and doesn't cost all that much more.

spinnaker

Joined Oct 29, 2009
Can I go lower than 1600 to save money? Do you get one stick or two when buying these? I assume one (unless otherwise listed)?

paulktreg

Joined Jun 2, 2008
The lowest your intended motherboard goes is DDR3 800 but this may be hard to find and funnily enough more expensive. Supply and demand I presume?

I think 1600 is about the sweet spot on cost?

As I said the motherboard and hence the processors that it supports have memory controllers that support dual channel memory so two sticks are better than one if the small gains in speed are what you want. If you can find a single stick of 8GB it will work but 2x4GB sticks will be faster and cost very little more.

eetech00

Joined Jun 8, 2013
Not just any DDR3 memory will work. MB's support different size memory sticks (2GB,4GB,8GB, etc.) and different clock speeds. Check with the MB manufacture. They usually have a list of compatible memory, CPU, etc.

shteii01

Joined Feb 19, 2010

BReeves

Joined Nov 24, 2012
I go through allot of computers for my business and customers, haven't bought or built a "new" computer in 15 years. That is when I discovered the referbs from Tiger and Newegg. You just can't beat the price and have yet to have a bad experience.

They are usually business trade in's and sometimes come with a Windows CD and COA . Usually the HD is replaced with a new one, easier than wiping the old drive. Sometimes you get more than what is stated in the add, faster processor or more RAM.

Last edited:

spinnaker

Joined Oct 29, 2009
This one takes ddr3 ram, max of 16 gig. Might be cheaper to just buy this one and max out the ram. With win 7 64bit now, then maybe linux when they stop supporting win 7, it will last you for a long time.
hdd is kind of small on that one.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16883158916

For a couple of bucks this will give you twice the hdd:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16883282979
everything else is the same.

Wow. Thanks nice find. Yeah that might be the way to go because I need a case, keyboard and DVD too. That all adds up. It would be nice to know the number of PCI slots. Not see that info.

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
I go through allot of computers for my business and customers, haven't bought or built a "new" computer in 15 years. That is when I discovered the referbs from Tiger and Newegg. You just can't beat the price and have yet to have a bad experience.

They are usually business trade in's and sometimes come with a Windows CD and COA . Usually the HD is replaced with a new one, easier than wiping the old drive. Sometimes you get more than what is stated in the add, faster processor or more RAM.
On your recommendation I just bought a spare laptop from NewEgg with Win 7 Professional. I'm just a bit put out by all the Win 10 shenanigans.

spinnaker

Joined Oct 29, 2009
On your recommendation I just bought a spare laptop from NewEgg with Win 7 Professional. I'm just a bit put out by all the Win 10 shenanigans.
Yeah they are relent;ess on the upgrade. I have a media center PC that I will never want to upgrade as WMC is not supported in Windows 10. I will probably move to Linux when the time comes to replace the OS.

Some of those desktops are worth buying just to get the DVD, case, keyboard and mouse and throw the rest away if you want to replace with a high performing system.

shteii01

Joined Feb 19, 2010
Even HPs site does not list the number of PCI slots. :( Is that not important?
Um... what are you talking about?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16883158916
has 2 pci, 1 pcie x16, 1 pcie x1 all listed at the very bottom of the specification table

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16883282979
has 1 pci, 1 pcie x16, 2 pcie x1

Also you can download pdf from manufacturer's website that describes each family of models. Since these refurbished computers usually come as a family of three, mid tower, desktop, slim. Slim cases usually don't have any expansion slots, desktops usually take mini pci/mini pcie cards so have to be careful what you buy for desktop case, mid tower are just regular mid tower.

Like I said earlier I got dell optiplex for my parents, I got one with older chipset that uses ddr2 ram, so when I got it, I added some ram that I already had, I installed wifi card into the pcie x1 slot, I still have pcie x16 slot that I might add video card, but the onboard video is working fine and my old video cards are not that much better than current-ish intel onboard video.

Dr.killjoy

Joined Apr 28, 2013
If you not looking for anything special like a gaming rig then I would look into getting a nice Laptop or notebook .. I have a laptop that I purchased for $5 and upgraded the cpu and some ram and nice update to Win10.. The laptop I use for everyday stuff and is really nice just to setup and use where ever I want too.. My gaming rig is for kicking butt in BF4 (Battle Field 4) and stays stationed ..Oh I build my gaming rigs cause I have all the software and use to OC heavily and would love to use nitrogen on my rig.