Reducing power supply for reducing power consumption in IC

iaf

Joined Apr 11, 2019
I have a power supply of 3.3V and my aim is to reduce my power consumption in the whole Design, i was wondering if i convert the 3.3 Volts to 1.8V and design the whole circuit with 1.8V MOSFETs instead, would it be an helpful approach to reduce power consumption or the same amount of power will be consumed in the converting circuit?

AnalogKid

Joined Aug 1, 2013
Depends on the properties of the 1.8 V parts and the type of converting circuit. Your question is missing all of the details needed for a better answer. What is it you are trying to do?

ak

iaf

Joined Apr 11, 2019
I'm designing a brownout circuit composed of a voltage reference, comparator and a latch, maximum power consumption shouldn't be more than 100uW. The problem i'm facing with the 3.3v MOSFETs is that they take a lot of current with minimal area.

Wolframore

Joined Jan 21, 2019
without information we are just guessing... so if you would like to share it and perhaps your schematic maybe we could help? But ak already said this...

Last edited:

iaf

Joined Apr 11, 2019
here are the information for the NMOS
saturation current: 605 uA/um
gain factor 190 ua/V^2
threshold voltage 0.66 V
and for the PMOS
305 uA/um
42 uA/v^2
-0.63 V
here is the schematic of the comparator with the bias circuitcomparator3.PNG bias.PNG