Rectifying the secondary of a CT

denman_100

Joined Oct 27, 2007
Hey guys,

I posted a thread earlier about how CTs work and coupling and power transfer. I now have a better grasp of CTs, and just wanted to explore making a power supply/regulator off of the secondaries of a CT that will be hanging off a power line.

If I connect a diode bridge, capacitor for smoothing and LM317 to the secondary, assuming that the primary has 100A AC steady on it, and secondary has 5A, what will happen?

I have a feeling that the capacitor will just keep charging to a higher and higher voltage (like opening the secondary) and bad stuff happens. Or does the LM317 provide a suitable connection to a common?

If I could short out the secondary upon detecting a High voltage on the capacitor (before the rectifiers) and then let current back into the rectifier on a low voltage, will that work? That way, the capacitor discharges to the regulator when it's too high of voltage, then recharges again after.

Thanks for any input

denman_100

Joined Oct 27, 2007
I guess I'm just a little lost on how something like what I want to do is accomplished. Looking around, USI's Power Donut2 does this. They clamp around a conductor and have an iron core in their "donut". They are able to use this to power the electronics inside and also charge a battery. When the current gets too low, battery kicks in. That design is very similar to what I want. The link to that is: http://www.usi-power.com/Products%20&%20Services/Donut/donut.htm

Anyone have ideas as to how that is done?