Rectifiers

Dr.killjoy

Joined Apr 28, 2013
It's a hard thing to explain cause it depends on to many factors like the filter cap size ,age,esr and that's only one part ..

TL314

Joined Mar 29, 2015
it wouldnt perfectly block current in one direction and transmit current in the other direction right?

OBW0549

Joined Mar 2, 2015
I would say a non-ideal diode (i.e., a real-world diode) would differ from an ideal diode in that it would show unit-to-unit variations in forward voltage and reverse current, as well as departures from the I/V characteristics predicted by theory. Most of these would be due to process variations and variations in the purity of the raw materials.

On the other hand, you could say a non-ideal diode differs from an idealized diode in that it has any forward voltage drop at all, and leaks any reverse current at all.

It all depends on what you mean by "ideal."

Joined Nov 30, 2010
There is also capacitance across the real junction, reverse recovery time, and the heat that is caused by the current...if I didn't repeat anybody.

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
Let's not forget the voltage drop, and associated power loss.

Ah, I see the previous posts already address this.

OBW0549

Joined Mar 2, 2015
One really excellent resource for understanding the multifarious "non-ideal-ness" of all kinds of components is a book by Robert Pease, Troubleshooting Analog Circuits. Pease discusses all the quirks and foibles of resistors, capacitors, inductors, diodes, transistors, LEDs, opamps, comparators and sundry other ICs. The book is a bit pricey, but worth EVERY penny because it's simply chock-full of practical information.

Joined Nov 30, 2010
How about just download any datasheet for any diode and expect that every specification listed is describing some characteristic that is not ideal?