Rectifier Diodes - What is the difference between 1N4007 and EGP10G

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
I wouldn’t hesitate for most applications. You may want to double check the physical size and lead thickness to make sure it’ll fit the hole but I’d be surprised if it didn’t.

The “ultra fast” wording raises an eyebrow if you have any reason to think that’s important for the application. That might be a difference between the two.

ian field

Joined Oct 27, 2012
I might be missing something. Or I am just not quite understanding what I am reading. Could a faulty EGP10G be replaced with a 1N4007? Datasheets attached.
The "GP" part of the prefix could mean glass passivated - it could be a fast rectifier, but standard recovery GP rectifiers also exist.

As others mentioned it may be a fast rectifier and you'd be better off trying a UF4007.

ian field

Joined Oct 27, 2012
Then it may be the freewheeling diode for a switching power supply and, if so, should be an ultra fast type.
It might even be a bit fast for the UF4007 some have suggested. Shottky barrier diodes can be possible on 5V rails - but you have to watch the reverse voltage in flyback designs.

In my monitor servicing days: some genius at Philips circulated a tech bulletin stating that modern PSUs meant that CRT heaters only needed 6.15V instead of 6.3. The steady stream of poisoned cathodes kept me in beer for a while, but the heater supplies all had to be upgraded to recover the tube and keep it good. Some engineers decided to X-ray their customers by turning the wick up for everything - my solution was using a SB rectifier to get the voltage back up to spec. Reverse voltage in the flyback system was a problem - I used the old diode in a C/R snubber to damp it down.